Power amp question?? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2003, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Power amp question??

I'm thinking of getting a POD Pro. Is the Power amp being tube or solid state a smaller consideration given the use of a modeling preamp? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2003, 03:53 PM

Re: Power amp question??

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra9
I'm thinking of getting a POD Pro. Is the Power amp being tube or solid state a smaller consideration given the use of a modeling preamp? Thanks
No, itīs not a detail. Some months ago Iīve tested a POD Pro with my Mesa 2:90 and it sounded great. Not like a JMP-1 with a GMajor, but it wasnīt bad at all.

Power-amp = Mesa or VHT.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 10:54 AM

your best bet would be to try it through both and let your ears decide. a lot of the pros using those (dino cazares for example) run them into a tube poweramp, but alot of pros (meshuggah and weezer for example) are actually bypassing having amps and cabs at all and running them direct through the pa. i've never been much of a tube-head but i recently went to a rack set-up (from a johnson millenium 250 head) with a mesa 50/50 and it is killer! so yeah, try them out. preferably with your guitar and cab. that's probably very difficult, but i'd at least drag your podpro and guitar to the store and give both options a good run though! good luck!!!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 04:44 PM

Its a personal thing and its different for every unit. Adding a tube poweramp will definitly help get the feel and fullness/presence of tubes thats lacking in digital or solid-state, but at the same time it may counter-act what the unit was designed to do.

ie.. A Tech21 GT2 pedal is best used with a SS amp. Otherwise itll be extremely shrill becouse it trys to emulate the effect of tubes in a power amp. Many companies are following Line6's lead by giving you the option to choose whether you want certain effects on in case you are to go with the setup you are doing. If your going to a poweramp and speakers you certainly dont want a preamp emulating those things. But if you wanted to go direct you need those things.

Tags
dino cazares , johnson millenium , pod pro , power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode