Power Brake, stuff like that - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Power Brake, stuff like that

I don't know much about them other than they're used to allow you to run the master volume, gains, what have you on your amp to get that great tube tone that requires lots of volume....but then allows you to listen to it at bedroom or small club levels.

Am I on the right lines with this?....I've heard that amp safety is an issue.

I've seen the marshall power brake and it seems pretty simple...one knob.

Any comments for someone who doesn't know much about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 03:59 AM

Re: Power Brake, stuff like that

Yes thats dead on. It sits between the amps speaker output and the speaker imput. Its just a device that converts the electrical energy into heat energy. I can't imagine how it would have any amp safety issuse though, the only issue i can think of is that it would have to have good ventilation to dissipate the heat through the air otherwise it could possibly be a fire hazard.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 05:42 AM

If your amp has a good transformer there shouldn't be any problems.

This should help too: http://www.thdelectronics.com/products/hotplate.htm
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 05:53 AM

Heres a good quote from the THD website for their Hot Plate:

''Will it hurt my amp?''
''The THD Hot Plate® will not damage your amplifier. When you play continuously at full output, you cause your tubes to age more quickly than they would at lower volumes. Using a Hot Plate® will maintain the life of your tubes at exactly the same rate, no more or less, as when you play straight through the speaker.

Using a Hot Plate® will also not hurt your transformer any more than playing through a speaker, as long as the impedances are matched (i.e. 8 ohm setting on the amp, 8 ohm speakers and an 8 ohm attenuator). If you are using a well-made amp, then the transformer should last indefinitely, regardless of whether you are driving a speaker or attenuator. If you are using an inferior amp and the transformer blows, it would have done this whether you play through a speaker or an attenuator. The Hot Plate® puts the same load on the transformer as a speaker (which is why it makes such a good dummy load).''
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

..I seem to recall some reviews on Harmony Central that people were blowing their amps, melting tubes, all that stuff...I dunno, seemed kinda risky if you didn't know what you were doing. Anybody want to vouch for their safety, or usefulness?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atarilovesyou
..I seem to recall some reviews on Harmony Central that people were blowing their amps, melting tubes, all that stuff...I dunno, seemed kinda risky if you didn't know what you were doing. Anybody want to vouch for their safety, or usefulness?
yeah sure. i own a hotplate and a weber mass. no problems due to them this far. the only things that can cause problems is if you don't use the right impedance with the hotplate. or with the weber, if you use the wrong wattage. but, that kind of stuff is easy to avoid. by the way, of the two, the weber is a bit better, to my ears. the hotplate got really harsh and brittle at lower volumes. the weber does a better job at retaining your tone.

Tags
ohm speaker , ohm speakers , tube tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode