Practice combo recommendations - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Practice combo recommendations

Greetings!

I am considering switching from modeling/SS combo to a tube one for home practice. What I am looking for should ideally meet the following requirements:
  • All-Tube (no hybrids)
  • 15-50 Watts
  • FX Loop
  • 2 channels
  • Transparent clean channel
  • High-gain channel comparable to 5105/Recto/Soldano/ENGL
I tried the Blackstar HT5 and Egniter Rebel already, but both do not meet the high-gain criteria above. My #1 candidate so far is the new Peavey 6505 112. It looks good on paper, but I want to see some unbiased reviews before I order it.

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:01 PM
ME.

Re: Practice combo recommendations

ENGL Raider or Sovereign maybe?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:03 PM

home practice eh? you might be better off with a modeling amp honestly. even some 5w tube amps can be loud enough to gig with and many tube amps don't really start to 'sing' until they are pushed hard volume-wise. at home practice volumes, they can sound thin and fizzy.

but your best bet is to go try it out, but my experience is modeling is usually your best bet for home practice.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:05 PM
ME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastachild View Post
home practice eh?
Totally missed that..

Still, the ENGL amps start sounding nice at quite low volumes.
At least my ENGL SE does. I use it at home all the time.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:16 PM

Reviews: 15

HT-5 with a distortion pedal in front of it?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastachild View Post
home practice eh? you might be better off with a modeling amp honestly. even some 5w tube amps can be loud enough to gig with and many tube amps don't really start to 'sing' until they are pushed hard volume-wise. at home practice volumes, they can sound thin and fizzy.

but your best bet is to go try it out, but my experience is modeling is usually your best bet for home practice.
Completely agree. I'd suggest a Line 6 or similar for home practice.

If you have the cash people are saying the Axe-FX is about as good as it gets
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Having said that...

The Boogie Mk V runs at 10 watts if you want all the features you've listed
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:59 PM

The first amp I can think of that covers all the bases you're wanting, and is easily available, is the ValveKing 112. The only draw-backs I can think of with it are that the gain isn't going to be as over the top as that of an Engl or Saldano,(nothing a decent distortion pedal can't remedy) and there are a lot of quality issues with this amp, from what I have seen. I see this amp come up on Peavey's forum often with complaints of it going belly-up after a short while. Hit and miss on quality control but it is a fairly inexpensive amp anyway. They make a blue million of these amps, so it's not like you couldn't get it replaced easily. Then again, I have a friend who has had one of these for years and never had a problem.

I don't have any direct experience with the 6505+ 112 but, if it's circuitry is essentially the same as all other 6505 models, you can count on two things: Very little wiggle room in the clean channel before it starts to overdrive a bit, and a lot of hiss. Quality, however, shouldn't be an issue. They're well-made amps.

Others that come to mind easily: There's the Fender Supersonic 112 but it only has a single input. Marshall JVM205C - once again, single input but everything else you're looking for.

Outside of that, for just practice at home, I'll have to side with the other folks and suggest a hybrid modelling amp too. The Line6 Spider Valve amps are great for what they do and also have a power amp in/preamp out,(loop). Bogner Alchemist and Peavey Vyper,(tube version) are comparable as well.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 04:01 PM

Double post. My bad.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Having said that...

The Boogie Mk V runs at 10 watts if you want all the features you've listed

Trust me, even in 10 watt mode the Boogie Mark V is loud enough get the police called to your house...
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 04:03 PM

See also -

I have a Vox VT30 which hand on heart sounds better than my Cornford Roadhouse at bedroom volumes.

Modern modelling amps are little pieces of wizardry as far as I'm concerned!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 04:20 PM

Reviews: 59

+1 on the Blackstar HT-5. You could also look at one of the simpler 5 watt heads from Blackheart, Epi, or Vox. If you are really looking for just a home practice amp, I'd probably keep things cheap and just look at one of those simple 5 or less watt tube amps. The tubes will give you solid tone but if you also want effects and things, nothing wrong with a line6 or Roland cube of some sort.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 04:52 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickbean View Post
Trust me, even in 10 watt mode the Boogie Mark V is loud enough get the police called to your house...
Well, a 5 watter is over 1/4 as loud as a 100 watter, and putting the volume on 2 on a 100 watter is already way too loud for general home use, so of course 10 watts is still very very loud.

Even in a 10 watt amp you could probably use an attenuator, and his wattage requirement is 15-50 anyways.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical Muffin View Post
Well, a 5 watter is over 1/4 as loud as a 100 watter, and putting the volume on 2 on a 100 watter is already way too loud for general home use, so of course 10 watts is still very very loud.

Even in a 10 watt amp you could probably use an attenuator, and his wattage requirement is 15-50 anyways.
The Mk V can also run in 45 and 90 watt modes. Best of all worlds
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 06:04 PM

Reviews: 120

Check a DS-1 or similar in front of the HT-5 and you will have searing high gain tone. that's what I do with my head when I want to get a real metal sound. It's amazing.

Tags
combo amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode