Practicing/ recording/ Gigging all with the same amp? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 08:05 AM

Reviews: 18
Re: Practicing/ recording/ Gigging all with the same amp?

The explanation LCD gave was pretty accurate but, the only thing is that in the real world you won't be cranking your amp 24x7 whether it's 5 watts or 100. With that said, you won't be experiencing the ratings posted because they won't be constant at all times. What voodoo child said is also true. If you need more coloration/punch, you can always add a pedal and be done with it.

I don't know about the rest of you but, I can get a really good a sound at low volumes out of my JSX combo to practice and it gets even better when cranked up.

Food for thought.

Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 08:17 AM

I got a JSX, i use it for everything it sounds good at pretty much any volume. im starting to go para about wearing out and having to replace the tubes but thats valve amps for ya! haha
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 08:20 AM

Lets face it most amps do sound better cranked - the sound of Rock!!! Some don't to my ears, some get worse. I really think its better to practice with no amp. I think it makes you focus on your technique more, not your sound (this is what practice is, right). If you can get to the point where the guitar sounds good, clear and loud with no amp then you are going to sound even better with an amp. Plus if you live with other people in the house like I do - trust me they do not want to hear hours of shredding scales and what ever, no matter how much they love you.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacestation View Post
Lets face it most amps do sound better cranked - the sound of Rock!!! Some don't to my ears, some get worse. I really think its better to practice with no amp. I think it makes you focus on your technique more, not your sound (this is what practice is, right). If you can get to the point where the guitar sounds good, clear and loud with no amp then you are going to sound even better with an amp. Plus if you live with other people in the house like I do - trust me they do not want to hear hours of shredding scales and what ever, no matter how much they love you.
Very much true. however, it can be good to practice with an overdriven "stage-like" sound. The natural compression induced by distortion makes all the rings, slides and little mishaps so much more audible. So to make sure that you play as clean and with as much projection as you would without amp, you have to practice with it as well.

Sidenote to previous post: Less wattage = earlier sweetspot = Yeeaaahh!!
Heavy speaker + low wattage = lifeless. Cone stifness might become an issue if you can't reach the speakers sweetspot volume.

Last edited by EL-CeeDee; 05-30-2007 at 11:44 AM. Reason: typo
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 09:51 AM

i use different amps
have a 15w peavey for practise use, a hughes & kettner tubemanII for recording and a behringer vamp stack for live.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 09:52 AM

I agree 100% but I think of practice as muscle memorization. Sitting with a metronome doing the same lick over and over through an entire re-run of M*A*S*H. That is what I mean by practice. Of course I like to go down stairs to our practice studio and shred away for an hour, thats good and fun too. But I do that sort of jamming at a pretty loud volume so thats why I think I only need one amp. There is not that much difference between shred volume and band volume. In my situation anyway. It also helps that the only other person that lives at my house is our other lead guitarist and our jam room is underground. The band can play at 2am and nobody hears us. Thats kinda cool.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 01:05 PM

I use my 50 watt Laney AOR half stack for everything, except home practice, where I either use my Johnson J-Station, or my 30 watt Marshall combo.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 11:20 AM

Reviews: 3

I practice and gig with my JCM800 and Avatar 2x12. I've got a practice rig that I keep at rehearsal and use my big rig at home and for gigs. Easier on the back that way.

At home I run an ADA MicroCab II into my Mackie VLZ 1202 Pro. That way I can play with headphones while my baby boy is asleep.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMind View Post
Wasn\t aware of that. So you say a 4x12 Cabinet will sound much louder than a 1x 12 with the same head?
You're moving more "air"....... but don't confuse SPL to equal better tone with todays amp choices!

Tags
amp distortion , clean tone , jsx combo , kettner triamp , marshall avt , ohm cab , ohm output , power amp , power amp distortion , power tube distortion , tube amp , tube distortion , valve amps , voodu valve , vox valvetronix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode