A preamp close to Carvin Legacy ? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

A preamp close to Carvin Legacy ?

Hi folks !

Do you now if somewhere in earth, is it possible to use a preamp that sound like a Carvin Legacy ?

I am playing in my little flat, my neighbours cant appreciate a powerfull tube amp

That's why I need just a preamp, to play with my DAW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 08:29 AM

Re: A preamp close to Carvin Legacy ?

I know this is probably an obvious answer, but try a POD. Start with a Bogner Ecstacy model and mess around until you find something more Legacy-like (perhaps with lower gain on the amp model itself but boosted with a Tube Screamer model).

There's an actual Carvin Legacy model in some DigiTech devices, but as great as DigiTech is, I compared the Legacy digital model directly with a Legacy combo and it didn't sound very much like it. It did sound pretty good, just not like the real thing.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Already tried the POD solution, but i never found something nice to my ears :S

Maybe can I find something with distortion pedals ?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 10:24 AM

Drive an ADA MP-1 with a Tubescreamer or Boss OD-1 and you'll get there pretty easily.

Regards,
Nelson
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

I actually use a Mesa Studio Preamp, I'll try with new pedals.
I notice Boss OD1/ Tube Screamer

Maybe the tube screamer can improve the smoother aspect that I need (or Xotic BB Preamp ? ^^)

Last edited by Valrak; 07-19-2010 at 11:00 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 01:15 PM

Reviews: 10

I have a Carvin Legacy that I use for live playing with my band but for home recording with my DAW I use a Digitech GSP 1101, which I have had excellent results with. I'll admit the Carvin Legacy model on the GSP doesn't sound exactly like my Legacy does live pumping out through cabs but it does sound great and you should be able to tweak the GSP 1101 to get the sound you are looking for.

I haven't tried an Axe-fx but it isn't in my price range either - way too much $$ for my budget. But I would highly recommend the GSP 1101 - it is reasonably priced and I have been very impressed with the recorded sounds I'm getting from it on my DAW.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 05:34 AM

There are quite a few people over on the Axe FX forum asking for the Carvin
Legacy 1 or 2, so I'm hoping Vai's influence and usage pays off for all us users.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:03 AM

I play a Mesa Boogie studio preamp clean side with an Ibanez Jemini distortion pedal (red side) + Morley Bad Horsie 2 with a Jem DBK equipped with Dimarzio EVOs, it achieves the Vai/Satch sounds no problem.

Power amp is only a Marshall Valvestate 8008 through a Peavey 115e tweed 15" eminence cab soon to be joined by an additional Marshall 1936 2x12" celestion cab.

Just add a Jemini to the mesa preamp and stick to the clean channel, you're done.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Mhh yeah, but i am not really looking for Steve Vai sound (or maybe yes, but I cant recognize the Carvin sound with the effects used )

I've seen in Youtube some videos, lead sound is really smooth, that's what i love in this Carvin Legacy

I've heard that the Jemini pedal is a Boss DS1 + TubeScreamer
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 08:51 AM

Buy a legacy! They are only 800$!

Then grab an EWS Subtle Volume Control and put it in the loop.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 12:55 PM
rgr

There is a Legacy model in the Digitech RP1000, probably in the 500 and others too.

<$0.02...

Tags
carvin legacy preamp ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode