preamp, effects processor, amp question - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

preamp, effects processor, amp question

today a good friend of mine gave me some equipment just because he has too many toys and not enough room. i got a rocktron 2 channel preamp, a digitech gsp21 upgraded to legend pro, and an a.r.t. x-11 midi controller for free. the rocktron has a very decent clean channel and the dirty channel is just plain brutal! i also tried out the gsp21 but was not nearly as excited by it. the effects are great but the distortion is horrible. thankfully the analog preamp section can be turned off and you can use it for just the effects.

what i would like to do is use the rocktron for my basic tones, use the gsp21 for my effects, and run it into the poweramp in on my combo. since this is my first experience with rack stuff i am not sure how to hook it up correctly. i think it would be like this....guitar into the rocktron, gsp21 in the rocktrons effects loop and then out of the rocktron into the amp. am i right?

next question......the rocktron has a standard effects loop (one send and one return) and the gsp21 has jacks for input, headphones, left/mono out, right out, left fx return, right fx return, and a mono fx send. i think i should go from the rocktrons send into the input jack of the gsp21 and then from the gsp21's left/mono output into the rocktrons return jack. please let me know if i am correct. if not, please let me know how i am supposed to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 02:46 AM

Re: preamp, effects processor, amp question

If you want to run stereo (and heck, why not!) the best approach is probably Rocktron main out into GSP input, then the GSP's left/right outputs to your power amp - the ART controller should be able to toggle the presets in both boxes by running a MIDI lead from the ART MIDI out to either pre amp or FX, and running a lead from the MIDI through socket of that to the MIDI in socket of the other.

Sounds about right - set the GSP inputs to line level by the way.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Re: preamp, effects processor, amp question

i decided to try a little experimentaion. after looking up the owners manual for the gsp21 i have discovered that the gsp21 digital effects section is after the units fx send. in order to truly bypass the analog preamp i have plugged the rocktron into the gsp21's fx return and ran the gsp21's output to my poweramp. it sounds f**king awesomely huge and by doing it this way i bypass the analog preamp and get a line level signal from the effects section and i can still change effects presets with my x-11 foot controller. unfortunately, since it's only a 2 channel preamp, it doesn't have midi controler jacks. i will have to change channels the old fashioned way. lol.....at least i can change effects presets on the fly!!

Tags
midi controller , power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode