preamp plus solid state = ? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

preamp plus solid state = ?

Ok here is the deal. I have been looking for a decent amp for a good metal tone but tubes are just too loud for living in an apartment. After allot of research I have rules out modeling amps because I don’t want a bunch of sounds I want a rock and metal sound only for now. I have a little Marshall 15 head and just borrowed a peavey rock master preamp. I’m running it through the clean channel. Is there anything negative about doing this? It gets me allot closer to that sound I have been on the hunt for but it’s at low levels and well basically really cheap fix for now. How long do tube preamps last? How should I hook it up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

anyone? should i keep it or no
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 10:34 AM

If you like the sound and it's not too noisy, go for it. There's an extra gain stage in there, but as long as there's not excessive hiss you should be OK.

One thing I like about modelers is their stability. You get a sound at low volume, it'll sound much the same at high volume through a PA. And you don't HAVE to use all the amps in a modeler; it's just no cheaper to do a "4 amp" one than a "32 amp" one. It's all down to whether you like the sounds you get or not. Some do, some don't.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 01:02 PM

Donīt do that.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78
Donīt do that.
do what?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESTER700
One thing I like about modelers is their stability. You get a sound at low volume, it'll sound much the same at high volume through a PA. And you don't HAVE to use all the amps in a modeler; it's just no cheaper to do a "4 amp" one than a "32 amp" one. It's all down to whether you like the sounds you get or not. Some do, some don't.
Agreed! Especially on the bolded section, which is something no one gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyW
Quote:
Donīt do that.
do what?
I think he means the amp thing in the main post, though I don't know for sure. Don't see why he'd say don't do it, there's no problem at all that I can see.

Mike78, can you post more?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

the sound does soound great on rythem but not for leads at all
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 08:01 PM

What;s your budget like? there's some VERY low wattage tube amps out there that might do the trick for you...

-D
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

if i keep this preamp i got about 300 left for a power amp cuz the solid state doesnt mike well with the tube pre
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
What;s your budget like? there's some VERY low wattage tube amps out there that might do the trick for you...

-D
Actually there is a great shortage of low wattage valve equipment what amps are you considering? 7 watts of tube is pretty loud even below 5 watts doesn't count as low wattage. To be low wattage I consider less than 2 watts sufficient!!!!

Freak
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

who makes these low wattage ones? and how much are they?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Donīt do that.
do what?
I think he means the amp thing in the main post, though I don't know for sure. Don't see why he'd say don't do it, there's no problem at all that I can see.

Ok.

Once I bought a JMP-1 and decided to use it with my Marshall VS100 combo. Sounded so bad; I went to the store and picked my money back; sold the VS and decided to do that with a real power-amp and cabinets.

You wonīt be able to crank the preamp level using a small combo.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Donīt do that.
do what?

Ok.

Once I bought a JMP-1 and decided to use it with my Marshall VS100 combo. Sounded so bad; I went to the store and picked my money back; sold the VS and decided to do that with a real power-amp and cabinets.

You wonīt be able to crank the preamp level using a small combo.

;yeah thats what i figured out im just going to return it to my friend cuz i dont like my highs sounding like glass getting scraped
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 12:10 PM

Quote:
who makes these low wattage ones? and how much are they?
I can only think of one that is the zvex nano head (I may have got the name wrong my memory is really bad!!) ost people make their own low wattage equipment

Freak
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

that nano is a 400 dollar head!

Tags
low wattage tube amp , power amp , tube amp , tube amps , tube preamp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode