preamp question - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

preamp question

I'm aware there's are amp head preamps, and rack preamps. But is there any sense to plug in a rack preamp (ie. ADA MP-1) into a tube amp head? Are preamp racks just a cheaper alternative to amp heads?

Right now my setup is as follows

guitars -> DS-1 ultra -> rocktron chameleon (preamp) -> return channel of crappy peavey SS amp (to bypass amp controls such as EQ).

I'm planning to sell the chameleon for a ADA MP-1, and then buying a 2x12 cab. Would that work the same as say...a laney GH50 amp head into some cabs?

thanks in advanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 01:24 AM

Re: preamp question

"Are preamp racks just a cheaper alternative to amp heads"

no, think of them as a really powerful distortion pedal in a rack case. They have no amplification on there own (mabie enough to power headphones, if that) you still need an amp for it to go in, it could be a FX loop of a tube head, or a power tube amp such as the Mesa boggie 2:90 or a cheeper alternative such as the Peavey 50/50.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 01:39 AM

yeah a preamp, whether it's rackmount or in a head casing still needs a power amp to amplify its signal. the ada sounds best with a tube power amp btw. i'd suggest the same thing that lefty robb did and get yourself a peavey classic 50/50 or 60/60 power amp. i got the 60/60 cheap off **** and it sounds great.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 01:43 AM

Running a proper tube preamp into the input of a tube head almost invariably results in an impedance mismatch which means usually a thin and harsh sound - what usually DOES work is bypassing the tube amp's own pre-amp section and plugging the output of the rack preamp in to the effects loop return of the amp head - does that make sense?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 03:52 AM

If you mean "put it in the FX loop" then yes, it does..I personally wouldnt use a head, it would color the sound of the preamp to much, even bypassing its own internal preamp. But some people love putting it in the loop of a SS Marshalls.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

ah thanks for clearing it up guys. A few questions about the ADA MP-1 though

1. I've read that some complain about the amount of noise the MP-1 makes. How true is it? And if so, is there anything out there I can use to fix it? (rocktron HUSH?)

2. There's not a lot of efx on the MP-1, such as reverb and delay. I also read that the EQ section on the MP-1 isn't that great. I was wondering if it's wise to hook up both the MP-1 and the chameleon in the same chain so I can get both the MP-1 distortion/chorus and the chameleon's reverb/delay/EQ. Or is it just better to get separate pedals for that?

Thanks again!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 03:46 PM

The noise only comes from gain, like any preamp. I have a Rocktron chameleon and it just doesn't sound great at all with the MP-1, its far to muddy, but the HUSH works good. I have an old delay unit that I use after it, and it sounds much better. Heres the reDONKulous setup...

Guitar -> TS909 -> DS-1 -> DBX gate/comp -> ADA MP-1 -> Delta Labs delay unit -> DOD EQ rack -> BBE 362 Sonic Max -> other side of DBX Gate -> MosValve Poweramp -> Carvin Legacy 2x12
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btangel
2. There's not a lot of efx on the MP-1, such as reverb and delay. I also read that the EQ section on the MP-1 isn't that great. I was wondering if it's wise to hook up both the MP-1 and the chameleon in the same chain so I can get both the MP-1 distortion/chorus and the chameleon's reverb/delay/EQ. Or is it just better to get separate pedals for that?

Thanks again!
You could do that, but if you're not going to use the preamps on the chameleon why not get a dedicated fx unit instead, like a rocktron intelliflex/expression?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 04:22 PM

The rocktron intelliflex might be better, but a G-Major would probably be the way to go.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 06:36 PM
rgr

Feeding one preamp into another usually doesn't work that well, I'd look into a dedicated effects unit.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 06:41 PM

yeah, its a really bad idea, i've done it and it sounds like absolute ****, and noisy as all hell.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

yea that's what I figured. Thanks for the advice guys. Really helped me out a lot.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 07:04 PM

Wow, thanks to this thread, I just blew the dust off my old ENGL 520, cranked her up, put her in this config:

Guitar -> TS808 -> ENGL 530 -> BBE -> Gate/Comp -> EQ -> BBE -> Power amp -> Legacy Cab

And it sounds like 100X better than the ADA MP-1. Probably because the Engl is a 3 tube beast, and its all analog from what I can tell. Its less harsh with a tighter distortion, and tones down better with the volume knob (Think Blue Powder) and better Harmonic squeals.

Last edited by Lefty Robb; 06-02-2006 at 07:50 PM.

Tags
amp head , amp heads , distortion pedal , peavey classic , power amp , rack pre , rocktron chameleon , rocktron hush , tube amp , tube head , tube power amp , tube preamp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode