Preamp Selection - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Preamp Selection

Hey guys i'm looking to put together a very small rig, 6 rack spaces or less, and i have some options on preamps. all of which i have never used but am willing to try.

below are the 3 i have been watching on the bay and my thoughts and questions on each so far

Peavey RockMaster.
-cheap
-can be channel switched by a gMajor or replifex
-had an Ultra before and liked it a bit, but was a little buzzy. sold it cause the combo weighs a million pounds for speaker and cab combo i didn't like
-looking to get it modded, but it seems like a lot of the mods i'm finding are to make it sound like 80's metal. i'm looking to fatten the mids a bit and round off the harsh top. anyone have any experience??

Rocktron Voodu Valve,
-also not too expensive used
-has effects i would use live already built-in where other units would need a secondary unit
-unsure how great the live sound is. anyone have experience using this one live? how does it measure up to a true tube preamp?

Marshall JMP-1
-most expensive of the three
-had a marshall tsl and hated it. I have heard that jmp-1s sound different than many marshalls and that the TSL is very buzzy/tinny sounding to begin with compared to others.

Any of these 3 is going to be paired with a mesa 50/50 or 20/20 power amp. The point of this rig is to be simple, low maintenance, and not too expensive. I already have a mesa rig that i love, but it is very large and heavy and hard to fit in small venues. I would like it to be 1000 or less excluding cabs (already have those).

can you let me know which you would go with and why? I'm just looking for input and knowledge from people who have used these items. I'm leaning toward the rockmaster, because it's so cheap and i've been happy with the ultra, but i want to keep my mind open.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 12:29 PM

Re: Preamp Selection

Have you considered an ADA MP1, stock or modded? Just throwing another option out there for you.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 08:26 PM

Reviews: 12

there's an Engl 520 preamp on the 'bay as well... its the version before the current 530 but I presume it works / sounds similarly...

Reg
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

i didn't see the engl 520 on there.

what do you guys think about this rig. too much for the lot??

http://cgi.****.com/Guitar-rack-Mesa...QQcmdZViewItem

replay **** with e-b-a-y
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 09:42 PM

Reviews: 12

... my bad: its E520.

the rig looks like a good deal... not the rack i'd use but everything else is about right.

Reg
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 08:55 AM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmiester View Post
Have you considered an ADA MP1, stock or modded? Just throwing another option out there for you.
+1. Better tone than a JMP-1 and can be had for cheap on the Bay
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

I thought about the MP-1. the only thing that makes me leary about that is every clip i have heard has been of a very compressed lead shred tone. and thats not exactly what i'm after for the band i'm in. I haven't heard any clips that have been sort of raw, punchy, fat sound. The ultra, when i had it, gave me a tone i thought fit well with what we were doing, but was just a little harsh in the top end. I like the fact that the rockmaster is the preamp section of the ultra that can be modded, plus be matched with a nice power amp like the boogie 50/50, and is not an all in one combo that weighs a million pounds. The ultra was one heavy amp. not good on bad knees. The RM was my initial decision since it was so cheap, but i wanted to get some opinions on others that i had not tried..
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 12:57 PM

what type of music do you play? There are various mods available for the MP-1.
You could also EQ the tone.

But the best bang for the buck out of what you mentioned is the Peavey. I hear a lot of good things about it, great bang for the buck
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 01:38 PM

I am also in search for a good heavy preamp...and probably. i am going for the mp-1...
i was lucky enough to find one arround here...
although, never had chance to try rockmaster...sounds promising, too...
i will probablty try out ada mp-1 in thursday...so i will share my opinion in here...
and, if i like it, i am taking it...!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 06:23 PM

I've got an ADA MP1 with the Mod4 MkII mod. I really don't use it since I got my Legacy. I had some requests to record clips of the Legacy, if you want I can get some clips of my MP1 if your interested? PM me and let me know what you want to hear.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmiester View Post
I've got an ADA MP1 with the Mod4 MkII mod. I really don't use it since I got my Legacy. I had some requests to record clips of the Legacy, if you want I can get some clips of my MP1 if your interested? PM me and let me know what you want to hear.

I wouldn't mind hearing just whatever you can put out. I just would like to hear more than just 80's style shred leads out of it. Can it do bluesy warm tones? Raunchy open rock distortion? really fat punchy notes? So many clips of midi preamps i hear focus on the fact that they can create a very compressed, fluid sounding lead tone. but no one demonstrates just an open raw rock tone. if you have time. just throw out as many sounds as you can from it. thanks a lot. any interest in parting with it if you only use your legacy now?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 11:56 PM

I should have some time tomorrow, I'll try and record a few different clips for you. Im pretty sure I already recorded a quick version of a song I was working on a few months back with the MP1. I'll send you the link, that's where I'll upload more clips once I record them.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 09:34 AM

Adam,

You can also check out sound clips here, http://www.adadepot.com/cool_things/soundclips/main.htm.

The key with the MP-1 is to use the tube clean and not the tube distortion voice setting. Also using lower gain tubes will cut some of that 80's "bite". You also have to lower the OD1 and OD2 settings as well.

If you're looking for a fender strat type blues tone this might not be the preamp for you.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 01:42 PM
rgr

Kasha Rockmod II is the best preamp I've ever used. If I was still using a rack, I'd still have one. The old ones pop up used occasionally for decent prices, the new ones are expensive.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finstah View Post
You can also check out sound clips here, http://www.adadepot.com/cool_things/soundclips/main.htm.
I almost forgot about the user sound clips on the forum, haven't been there in a while.

Adam, check that page out. If you still want to hear anything that you couldn't find on that page, let me know.

Tags
fender strat , marshall jmp , marshall tsl , peavey rockmaster , power amp , rack space , rocktron voodu valve , tube distortion , tube preamp , voodu valve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode