Pro Tools 003R - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 13
Question Pro Tools 003R

Has any body bought the Pro Tools 003R rack unit yet? If so what is it like, any hardware errors , functionality issues, are the pre amps as good as they claim etc?

It would be nice to get some honest comments other than from an Audio/Music magazine.

I am looking to upgrade from the MBox 2 so learning the software is not an issue.

Many Thanks.

- Wolfram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Banned

Re: Pro Tools 003R

Man do I feel your pain. I upgraded from a Mbox (one) to a 002 Rack so while I can't tell you about the 003 I can tell you that it was such a massive jump in super coolness that I totally recommend you do it.

The 7.3 version of Pro Tools LE is just awesome, I have been upgrading since 6.7 and this is the best jump yet. As for pre amps I Really did not notice one bit of difference from the Mbox to the 002R. With the 003 they say there is but I don't really think it will equal a great external pre but the stock 002 ones are good so the 003 ones are at least good if not a little better. The most noticeable differences with the 003 vs. the 002 are a (supposedly better internal clock) but if you plan to go s/pdif or ADAT it won't matter (because you have to sync to the external unit's clock) so who cares, and a second headphone jack with independent volume controls.

I looked into upgrading to the 003 Rack but after looking into it decided that I just was not worth it for me, but I'm looking to go full TDM in a few years.

I will say this, I believe that upgrading from a Mbox anything to a double 0 anything is a very positive step up. Go for the factory bundle if you can afford it and just go for it! The cool thing is that you can have 16 high end pre amps if you have the cash as opposed to the Mbox's 2.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. My problem now may be to go for the older 002 at a heavily reduced price or stick to my guns and go for the 003.

I am currently running LE 7.3 software with the factory bundle and find it really simple and great to use so it will be more of hardware upgrade.

- Wolfram
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Banned

Man if you can save some cash and find one get the 002. Just my opinion. The factory bundle going from MBox to 002 is different. You get a lot more stuff with the 002.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfdaddydog View Post
You get a lot more stuff with the 002.

Nice, I never actually realised that. I will have a look on the Digidesign website and see what addtional extras you get.

- Wolfram
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Banned

Oops, I meant you get more plug ins with the 002 factory vs. the mbox factory. I'm sure the 003 factory comes with as much as the 002 if not one or two more.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 08:15 PM

Hi there, I upgraded from a Digi001 to a 003 Rack Factory with Music Production Toolkit about two weeks ago. In the space of two weeks I have only barely been able to scratch the surface of what this thing does, so I'll post a bit more info as time goes by.

First up, the amount of additional software you get with this lot is incredible - in fact bewildering - it took me almost two days just to load all the additional plug-ins and RTAS instruments into the MacBookPro and authorise them with the iLock - the Digidesign Synths and Samplers are just phenomenally good - we spent too much time just playing with those, as the included samples and patches are really excellent and useable.

Most of the stuff that comes in the Ignition Pack 2 is a mixture of enticing and frustrating - there are some great instruments, but you can only play the presets, and you can't edit the sounds, so if you like the synths, you'll eventually spring for the upgrades to fully operating RTAS status. Amplitude LE is great, but again obviously cut down from the full version, although you will certainly be able to get totally useable tone out of the LE version - some of the other stuff (Ableton 6 LE, the Melodyne stuff, Reason etc) I just haven't got into yet - I can't get Reason Adapted going at all - can't work out why, so it will be back to the shop to see if they can find out what I have done wrong.

The 003 Rack is embarrassingly easy to use - I find it a step more intuitive than the 001, the actual built in mic pre-amps are vastly improved over the 001 - extremely transparent and musical sounding, monitoring, via whatever device we chose, be it headphones or the various Amp/speaker combinations has so far been a snack, little things like the 2 independant headphone sends are just nice, useable ideas - the MIDI integration is obviously much more sophisticated than the 001, where I found it barely useable.

ProTools LE 7.3 is excellent, much easier to use than the earlier MacOS9 version I ran with the 001, more logically laid out and bog simple to follow - we were basically up and going recording guitar tracks within about half an hour of getting the thing set up.

I haven't had any experience at all with the 002 - it seemed like a pretty cool box when it came out, but by the time we'd finished recording, mixing and mastering the last album on the 001 in MacOS9 (ProTools 5.3.1 or something like that), the 003 had arrived, my G4 was seven years old, and so I decided I could justify getting the newest thing on the market - with the exception of the severely limited editing functionality of some of the stuff included, I am really pretty thoroughly impressed so far.

As I said, more details will be posted as I get to know this beast a bit better. The gap between TDM and LE is narrowing, to the point where I think it's fairly obvious that within a few years ProTools will either abandon TDM, or end up with some kind of hybrid system which runs ProTools as a host application, and uses a DSP card to expand the RTAS capabilities, or maybe offer both as viable options - but recording is going the way of synthesisers, where the CPU is becoming fast enough to pretty much do everything.

Cheers,

David
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
I can't get Reason Adapted going at all - can't work out why, so it will be back to the shop to see if they can find out what I have done wrong.

David
What problems are you having with reason adapted? Perhaps I can help.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Guys,

Thank you for your comments. There is some really honest non biased feedback there.

I have had a bit of a look around for 002's and I think I will spend the little bit extra and grab a 003 - simply for warranty and to limit any potential 'near future' upgrade issues.

I am going to look at buying a new PC and the 003 as a package - I will get the shop to set up all the hardware/software to minimise any potential issues with configuration etc.

David - I look forward to the updates to the review.

- Wolfram
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
What problems are you having with reason adapted? Perhaps I can help.
When starting up Reason Adapted for the first time, it originally said "cannot find Reason Engine" (or words to that effect) - a quick search of the Propellorheads website FAQs found that I had to download R.A. update blah blah blah to fix this issue with MacIntel boxes, so I did so, ran the updater, started Reason Adapted again, and sure enough got "Cannot find Reason Engine" again. I have gone through all the iLok registration/activation/frustration etc.

Bummer.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Banned

The ilock has nothing to do with reason adapted. Put the propellerheads install disc in and see if there is an uninstall option, after you uninstall re-install, if you don't have that option just try a re-install. If you just got your 003 you have free tech support with digidesign, I suggest you use it if that won't work. Also if you got it from a reputable place they should have tech support.

This is of course assuming you entered all your codes and registered it with propellerheads.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
The ilock has nothing to do with reason adapted. Put the propellerheads install disc in and see if there is an uninstall option, after you uninstall re-install, if you don't have that option just try a re-install. If you just got your 003 you have free tech support with digidesign, I suggest you use it if that won't work. Also if you got it from a reputable place they should have tech support.

This is of course assuming you entered all your codes and registered it with propellerheads.

I think I did all that - I will do a Reason uninstall and reinstall and see how I go - thanks! The 003 has tech support, but R.A. only has a list of FAQ on the Propellorheads website - no actual support in human form.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Banned

I know, but digi should be able to help if you need it. Let me know how it goes.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:
I know, but digi should be able to help if you need it. Let me know how it goes.

Will do; thanks again!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
Will do; thanks again!
Off topic but is this you're band?

http://www.myspace.com/clearband

Tags
david mccarroll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode