Pro Tools Free - An Update - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Pro Tools Free - An Update

For those that downloaded the free Pro Tools software… *The D-Verb Plug-In is now available for that version. It’ll cost ya’ 50 bucks.

I was wondering how they planned to recoup on the free software.

For those that didn’t know there was a free Pro Tools available, it lacks some of the features of the pro version, but has all the editing, MIDI (with proper hardware), automation and track capabilities of the expensive version. It will not lock to time code, does not have machine control, surround editing, loads of 3rd party plug-ins and will not work with the 888 (multi input/output, AD/DA conversion thingie) and is therefore a CPU hog… but hey, it’s free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 12:23 AM

Pro Tools Free

Might have to DL that tomorrow at work, I don't even wanna try it on the slowdem.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 02:50 AM

Reviews: 3
Pro Tools Free

Pro Tools... ehhh... NONE of the recording software on my computer works. *I can't get one d*amn
thing working properly. *I hate computers! *I need someone to come and get this stuff running for me before I just throw it away.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 03:54 AM

Pro Tools Free

What software are you using Jay?

I don't have ProTools now because I don't like to record right to my PC (I'm kinda old school, I like a board with knobs etc ). I just bought an MD8 which I'm very happy with.

Currently I just use Sound Forge for mastering etc.

So far it works great.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 11:50 AM

Pro Tools Free

ProTools Free worked just fine on my old G3/266 with 224 MB of RAM and a 27 GB hard drive.

It worked WAY better than the demo of Cubase VST i tried out... it would skip and stutter like crazy when recording or playing back any more than one track.

I can't wait to try out ProTools on my new PowerBook 500! I need to get me a FireWire CD-RW so i can offload tracks once i'm done with'em, though. That 20GB drive will fill up really fast.

:biggrin:
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Pro Tools Free

I am still using Pro tools with an analog console…. until next spring. *I think the Free Pro Tools software is just bait. *It’s effective at demonstrating the editing and some automation capabilities and very useable, but once you’re hooked you begin thinking about multiple in and outputs, some of the plug-ins that actually work better than their hardware counterparts and what about the totally user friendly surround capabilities. Flying a guitar around the room ROCKS!

5.1 (with hardware) can be the most important piece of gear in a studio… if you can justify paying the price of a good used car for it.

I’m not on staff at Digidesign and get no commissions. *I have just been fascinated with some of the things we are doing with it. For me it has made digital video post a breeze. *It takes control of any machine in the CMR. I just grab a sound region(s) and drag it to where I need it. *The video scrubs and follows my movement. No cumbersome remote transport controls. No writing down time code or waiting for machines to get up to speed. *Once everything is lined up I go back and automate volume and pan, add SFX and lay it back to tape.

With 2 888’s you can record 16 separate tracks from 16 different busses simultaneously… then go back and manipulate them in almost any way imaginable after they are tracked. *Some studios use 4 888’s. *Pricey yes, but way cheaper than a DASH and does a whole lot more. *Storage can be a hassle though…

Sorry I don’t mean to sound like a salesman. I am just really into this right now as I am in the process of building a small home studio.

(Edited by bob oakman at 1:29 pm on Dec. 14, 2000)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 02:10 PM

Pro Tools Free

Bob,

If you don't mind me asking, what does/will your home studio consist of when it's complete? *

I've always been fancinated with the idea of having a 'pro' studio at home. *I hope to start to build one in a few years after college. Until then, my Roland VS-880EX is plenty.

(Edited by dwswift at 1:17 pm on Dec. 14, 2000)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 02:43 PM

Pro Tools Free

ProTools Free is TOTALLY bait to get people hooked. I really want the virtual track capability that Cubase and the higher-end ProTools systems have, but my hardware is maxed out so i'm stuck with a software-only solution for now. Ideally, i'd go for a full-blown ProTools system, though it's really too pricey for hobby recording.

After my xmas bills have been paid i might scrape together the cash to buy Cubase VST 5. Buying the PowerBook and all the crap to go along with it came at a bad time, but i couldn't pass up the deal.

Hopefully my union at school will settle our strike by then as well, and i can get back to teaching and get that supplementary income back.

I was thinking of getting a Digigram VX Pocket digital I/O card for my PowerBook, but they're like $1600! But it would be cool to go from my guitar into my VF-1 (which has 24-bit convertors) and then go digital into ProTools or Cubase. And i could set up ANYWHERE to record and mix.

Actually, i could do that now, only not with digital I/O. Studio to go, anyone?

(Edited by darren wilson at 1:44 pm on Dec. 14, 2000)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools Free

Jay,
Have you tried Cakewalk's Guitar Tracks?
It's pretty d*amn
basic, but it does a reasonable enough job.

Steve
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 03:22 PM

Pro Tools Free

I like the idea of digital editing or maybe just using a machine as a substitution for a DAT or whatever, but for some reason I just can't get away from a console.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Pro Tools Free

Darren, Joe Satriani edited and arranged “Engines Of Creation” on a power book using Pro Tools and MIDI software of some type. (don’t remember). *In an interview on the Apple site he stated that he worked on it during flights and in Hotel rooms. The musicians were rarely in the same city at the same time.

David, I have not settled on some of the gear that is going into my home studio. *So far it has…

A 10 year old, beat up analog console. It’s a custom built Wheatstone with 32 channels (If you count the 6 stereo channels as 2 each) and 8 busses. It has parametric EQ and 4 sends per with transport controls built into it for the tape machines. *It’s old but has a sweet tone and a billion input and output options. All will be hard wired to a patch bay.

I presently have Pro Tools 4, but will be upgrading to the full blown 5.1 version with all hardware. I’m running it on a Mac G-3. (Blueberry)

So far I am considering 8 DBX 376 Tube channel strip modules to patch into each of the busses. *On the mains I patch in an Aphex Dominator II and a T.C. Electronics Finalizer Plus and into a distribution amp.

Outboard gear includes an Eventide H3000, Yamaha SPX90, Lexicon reverbs and some forthcoming FX boxes yet to be determined.

I’ll master to Otari MX5050 and Panasonic and Fostex DAT’s.

I still have an Otari MX-70, 1” 8 track machine collecting dust in the corner. It gets used sometimes to add that “analog sound” to a recording.

Since I don’t have space for a drum booth I’m running multi-cables to patch panels in the garage and dining room for those special occasions when I can get a real drummer. I also have an R-8 Drum Machine. (Having a separate output for each sound is important to me.)

Permanently mounted in a soundproof box under some shelving will be cabinets for the Marshall and Legacy and some mics, with a patch panel on the outside. Instead of messing up the walls, (It used to be my formal Living Room) I’m running a cable trough around the room.

(Edited by bob oakman at 1:30 pm on Dec. 14, 2000)
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 04:30 PM

Pro Tools Free

Quote:
Quote: from jeffrey on 2:54 am on Dec. 14, 2000

I don't have ProTools now because I don't like to record right to my PC (I'm kinda old school, I like a board with knobs etc ). I just bought an MD8 which I'm very happy with.
Jeffrey,
I wouldn't call using an MD8 'old school'. *That's fairly new considering it's compressed digital. *

I almost bought one of those a year or two ago. *Do you like it? I ended up getting a VS-1880 in October. *I love it! *Sounds great.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 04:55 PM

Pro Tools Free

I absolutely love it.

I spent the better part of a day in my friend's shop with an MD8 and a VS going back and forth recording things with a strat pugged into it direct (among other things later on).

In all honesty, the VS had some great features (like how it saves er settings or scenes, whatever it's called, for stuff you've recorded when you load it back up: EQ settings, lvls etc) but the screen and having to use the dial for everything got old really fast. It took me much longer to do anything.

The MD8 was much easier to use for me. Plug it in, twist a few knobs, record away.

I think hunching over that little screen on the VS is what turned me off most. Maybe if it had a monitor out or something...

But the important part is, I perferred the sound of the MD8. The VS sounded (I know I'm gonna get flamed for this) sterile. At least sterile in comparison.

It was much harder for me to decide then I'm making it sound here. I mulled over this for almost a month.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 05:14 PM

Reviews: 3
Pro Tools Free

Wow... going back to the top... Jeffrey, I've got Logic Platinum. *The bulk of the problems seem to come from two areas...

1) I need more RAM. *256MB is what I have and what Platinum recomends... but since my computer is not a dedicated recording decvice... even with all my extensions turned off it still doesn't really cut it.

2) My "sound card"... I have a M-Audio Delta 1010... great card, horrible driver software. *Very 'buggy'. *The mixer program likes to freeze up my computer randomly when I close it... it doesn't always work... things like that. *I tried downloading the latest drivers from the net, but had the same result. *I am going to write to the company, but I've just been putting it off... LAZY LAZY LAZY!!!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 08:36 PM
rgr

Pro Tools Free

Jay,

I'm using LAP too, it took a while to learn the s'ware, 'cause I'm lazy and would rather play guitar than look at a computer screen when I get home. *But now I really like it, Score is really cool for MIDI stuff. *I used to have a problem with it locking up my machine and a 7200 RPM, ATA/66 hard disk dedicated to audio files seemed to fix that. *BTW, I'm only running a PII 400 with 192Mbytes of RAM. *

BTW, now that I am using LAP I don't think I want to change. *The only way to move up, other than better HW, would be a full blown Pro-Tools setup which would be way overkill for me. *I don't know if PT software could be "better enough" to justify the price. *

$0.02,
Roger

Tags
audio delta , audio interface , bob oakman , darren wilson , joe satriani , sound forge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode