pro tools newb :) - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb pro tools newb :)

alright well here is my current set up
macbook pro
m box 2 mini (just picked up)
Pro tools LE
les paul
RG550

ok so what i was wondering is their anything (peripheral or plugins) that i should look into that is almost a necessity

AND

what is the best way to start learning the software
(my background is a computer technician <geek squad>)

thanks in advance guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 06:28 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: pro tools newb :)

It all depends on budget. You can get the Waves Bundle of plug ins for around $1700. Youll need alot of processing power to run the plug ins though. I suggest to get a high end set of headphones or good monitors.

You can find decent books on pro tools everywhere but the one I suggest is written by a beta tester for Digi here in nashville. His name is J Franze and the book is called Pro Tools a-z. Hes also a sound engineer too.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 09:11 PM

I got my Mbox 2 Pro Factory about a week and a half ago and I love it.

Did you get the instructional DVD with your Mbox? I'd say watch that before even trying to do anything. I found some things in Pro Tools a little confusing at first (ie: the first hour) then I watched the DVD and that made it all very easy.

Don't worry about getting additional plugins and stuff immediately: There are heaps of them with Pro Tools LE to get started and it's probably best to spend a few weeks learning how the system works in general before attempting any major recording projects. After a few weeks I'd say spend spend spend and get whatever you need. I've ordered Drumkit from Hell Superior.

I would agree with Ibanut - get headphones and/or monitors. I'm using headphones and amp simlator plugins exclusively at the moment because we have a baby.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

real quick is it better to get something for electric guitar to go through (like a multi effects processor) or straight into the m box.

b/c my taylor acoustic sounds amazing in it but my electrics sound like **** plugged into it... the distortions are really weak too

or is their something im missing?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 03:36 PM

play with it, use it, work with it, surf the web to find users who have the same issues as you via the forums. you can find good books at amazon or musicians friend. i'm sure you will do fine. i won't say anything about geeksquad, they make more work for me...but job security for when i'm helping my friend's IT co. on the side.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

ehh yea on the gs note i know their horrible and have 2nd rate techs (me bein the only one their w/ any cert or comp tech background) but hey they paid good, discounts at bby (cost), and benefits... and for being 17 when i got the job that was probably the best job i could of gotten. but i recently left their and am glad b/c like u they made more work for me...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 01:02 PM

Go to the DIGIDESIGN site and read the DUC (user forum) as it is full of good info. ALso watch all the Digidesign Acceleted Videos. The go to youtube.com and type PROTOOLS in the search box and you will find several more tutorial videos. I also recommend Secrets of the Pros DVD's. Electric guitar sounds terrible direct unless you have a good amp sim plugin(AmpliTube?). I record direct with a POD 2 or sometimes use Guitar Rig (plugin) but it is a cpu hog.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 11:35 AM

I am not sure if the MBox comes with the Method One instructional DVD, but that is a very nice introduction to Pro Tools.

I agree with the above posts that an amp plugin is nice. Amplitube LE should not be very expensive and is a good start. Another alternative is to get a Shure SM57 and mic whatever amp you usually use.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 12:41 PM

If you can, I would 100% recommend the shure 57 route. It costs what, $100? You can't really buy a decent plugin or modeller for that. You have enough reverbs and EQs and things free with Pro Tools I believe to make do.

Just do this; set your amp up facing your bed, couch (not leather couch, but anything porous) or curtains, so there is some absorption opposite.

Each time you record, note the mic position. Even if you cant monitor properly you will be able to listen on playback to how the mic sounds dead centre, facing the cone, 1-2 inches, 3-4 inches, mid of cone, edge of cone, 45 degrees to cone, back to centre, just keep moving it around.

By the time you come to spend your next chunk of $$$ you will have a very good idea of how an SM57 sounds with your amp, which is far more valuable than a quick-fix modeller costing 3 x the price.

Its a thought, anyway.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleChx View Post
ehh yea on the gs note i know their horrible and have 2nd rate techs (me bein the only one their w/ any cert or comp tech background) but hey they paid good, discounts at bby (cost), and benefits... and for being 17 when i got the job that was probably the best job i could of gotten. but i recently left their and am glad b/c like u they made more work for me...
hey, i'll have to talk to you more about this. I'm gonna become certified soon (comptia A+) and would like to work for geek squad maybe, as well as run my own computer business. (lol, get best of both worlds). could u pm about how much they pay, how hard it is to get a job etc.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 09:37 PM

The only issue with the SM57 route of course is that you probably like playing LOUD .........

As good a set of powered monitors as you can justify will be your next great investment. Native Instruments Guitar Rig is pretty good - can also allow you to do gigs by plugging guitar into laptop into PA - sounds pretty good demo'd loud at our local ProTools dealer very loud with a PRS Hollowbody - very impressive indeed!

Tags
electric guitar , les paul , multi effects processor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode