Problem with Mesa 4x12 Cabinet - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
Problem with Mesa 4x12 Cabinet

Well, I recently upgraded and modified my Mesa 4x12 8ohm Rectifier cabinet not too long ago. Currently, it has 2 Mesa Black shadow Speakers on the top half and a pair of Vintage 30 speakers at the bottom. All seems well when I run the cabinet in mono mode but when I connect the cabinet in 4ohm stereo, one sides to be louder than the other...
To explain this problem even further... I'm using a Mesa Simulclass 2:95. For this example, Channel A is connected to the left side of the cabinet at 4ohms and Channel B is connected to the right side at 4ohms. When both are connected in this fashion, the output on channel B doesn't sound as loud as Channel A. Unfortunately, when I invert the connections from the back, Channel A doesn't sound as loud. Otherwise, the cabinet sounds fine if i run it at 8ohm mono.
I am pretty much trying to find a solution to this problem even though I have no idea what's wrong with my cabinet. I've rechecked and resoldered my connections and the problem is still there. I've even connected a Carvin cabinet at 4ohm stereo before and both sides sounded even. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 05:01 AM

I would try different cables between the amp and cab. I may be misunderstanding your situation but that's what I would check out.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 05:08 PM

Do you have a multi tester.Check your wiring. If you wired incorrectly, you could have screwed up impedences. IS each of the 4 speakers 16ohm ?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 05:19 PM

That's kind of interesting. I have the same problem with my Genz Benz G-Flex running from my Peavey Classic 50/50.

I haven't tried swapping the cables yet... i initially assumed a tube got knocked loose on the second channel, but it seems like it runs properly in mono mode.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

As stated, the cabinet runs at 8ohms, therefore all the speakers are at 8ohms. When split into stereo, two speakers are running at 4ohms. Back to the problem...
yes I've changed the cables connecting the poweramp and cabinet. I usually have spare speaker cables and either way, the cables isn't the problem...
Although it could also be that I have to replace a few tubes soon, I don't understand why it sounds fine in the Carvin cabinet as opposed to the Mesa cab, which happened to work fine the minute I obtained it... until recently that is
I'm considering on getting new wires that connects the speakers to each other but i doubt that's actually the problem. I do not have a multi-tester at the moment but I can borrow one from a friend. What do I need to look for with the tester?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 10:27 PM

Check for phase cancellation in one pair of speakers (the one that sounds "brighter" and quieter. If you reverse polarity on one of the speakers, two speakers will work out of phase with audible power loss. The most cancelled frequencies will be low frequencies, the cab will sound incredibly harsh and thin. Now when you get this right, make sure the pairs of speakers in stereo config don't cancel each other. Run straight signal without any reverb or delay into them and see if the cab sounds thin or not. If it is thin, reverse the polarity for one pair.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

micro, i might as well try to diagram this out and see where I went wrong in my wiring. Basically, this is how it's connected. Maybe you can help me rewire it?

(stereo)
4ohm
(tip)---> (+)Speaker L1 ---> (+)Speaker L2
(sleeve)---> (-)Speaker L1 ---> (-)Speaker L2
4ohm
(tip)---> (+)Speaker R1 ---> (+)Speaker R2
(sleeve)---> (-)Speaker R1 ---> (-)Speaker R2
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 05:24 AM

Are your speakers 4 or 8 ohm after all? Also, it is not clear from your description how you wired them. Are they connected in parallel or in series?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 05:32 AM

Oh, I see. They're 8 ohm, 4 ohm is their overall impedance.

Now I understand the diagram, they're connected in parallel, and the wiring seems to be OK (if the diagram corresponds to the actual wiring; I'd double-check).

It seems that you've tried swapping channels and the loudness ratio got flipped as well. According to your another statement the amp works fine with Carvin cab. I guess a few pieces of info are missing.

1. Have you used the same cables for Carvin?
2. Does swapping channels between Carvin and Mesa make their volume uneven?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Same cables on the Carvin cab hooked at 4ohm stereo... works fine. Carvin cab at 8ohm mono... sounds fine. Mesa cab 8ohm mono, sounds fine. Same cables on Mesa Cab at 4ohm stereo, not fine. I guess the Mesa cab is wired in series/parellel... the diagram I drew was basically the wiring for the 4ohm input jacks.
Although i've never combined both cabinets at 4ohms at the same time, i've connected the Carvin cab at 8ohm to Channel A and the Mesa Cab at 8ohm to Channel B and it works fine.

Tags
genz benz , input jacks , mesa cab , ohm mono , peavey classic , speaker cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode