Problem with my Laney GH50L - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Problem with my Laney GH50L

Hello

I purchased a laney GH50L head two months ago along with a laney cab. I needed an amp quickly and i instantly liked the tone of the laney. I tried with a strat for clean/rock tones and it did well.
Today im not completely satisfied with it. I mean, it's sounds fat and it screams but it's very fizzy and extremely bright. The cleans are nice but when i try to get heavy tones out of it I have to turn treble and presence to 0 to get a deep articulated sound. Also, if i stand right infront of the cabinet (the ear in line with speaker) the tone is very edgy. The tone doesn't embrace you, it punches you. I love paul gilberts tone and he used these laney tops for a loong time. However, i can't get a tone as well-defined, tight and pleasing as his. Too much fizz, too much high-end.
Do i need to change cab? my current cab is loaded with 2x12 seventy 80 celestion speakers. Or is this amp meant to be played at volume levels past 5 (which is really ****ing loud, too loud for playing in a bar and waaay too loud to practice with) could it be old tubes? is it biased wrong?

Last edited by system32; 10-31-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 05:30 PM

Re: Problem with my Laney GH50L

if it still has the TAD valves in that it shipped with, changing them will make a difference.
i had teh same experience with a VH100
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 01:36 AM

Reviews: 12

My GH50L came with TAD tubes, but they are actually rebranded JJ's as I've compared them to my JJ preamp tubes and they are visually identical and sound the same when tested. JJ's are darker than most tubes and I find they work well with the amp.
I've tamed the brightness and fizzyness by using the low gain input, and keeping the presence and treble at 2. The mids should also be at around 6 for more body.
I also keep the gain at 4 and set the drive to 10. I then boost the amp with an OD pedal. A lot of the fizz comes from the gain, so lower it and boost the amp with a smooth sounding OD pedal.
Speakers play a huge role in determining how these amps sound, so that could also be your problem. The 70/80's you have are not known for being very toneful or warm sounding.
I would also recommend setting the effects loop to series/sidechain then turning the mix dial up to about 7-8. This will push the poweramp harder without having to crank the master volume high. The result will be more girth and punch at lower volumes.

I don't play P. Gilbert style, but here's a clip of my amp that I recorded recently to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y2ERaJ4u9M

Last edited by Van Noord; 11-01-2010 at 02:07 AM.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 09:03 AM

Reviews: 6

I have always found that the harshness and "fizziness" increases when tubes are starting to go. That might be your answer.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 02:48 PM

i have this head as well. totally agree with van noord that the low input is the key to getting less fizzy tone. there is less gain, but the foundation of the amps tone becomes more full sounding or more vintage. it's ideal for ac/dc type gain and provides a good basis for a tubescreamer or o/d pedal of your choice to drive to higher gain without the fizz.

additionally, what volume level are you playing this head at? this amp is definitely not what i would call a bedroom amp; it's ideal when used with a band in band practice and gigging situations because like most tube amps, it sounds best when the power amp tubes are overdriven. if your volume is lower than 4 (which is pretty f'n loud), then that probably explains the fizziness.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 08:19 PM

It could be a combination of several things. What kind of guitar are you using it with? What kind of tubes are in it? Your speakers may be bright as well.

I found my VC50, a two-channel combo version of the GH50L, to be pretty sensitive to tube changes. Changing from 6l6's to el34's brightened up the tone and brought down the bass a fair amount, so putting in some 6l6's should warm up your tone a good bit. Also using humbuckers will help tame some brightness. Changing the speakers however would probably cause the most drastic change. I hear that Celestion lead 80's go well with Laneys, as they are nice and fat and just the right amount of treble.

Tags
amp , cabinet , celestion , gh50l , laney

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode