Problems with Boss PS-6 Harmonist - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Question Problems with Boss PS-6 Harmonist

Just bought a Boss PS-6, when i use the Pitch Shifter or Harmonist mode the smooth lead medium gain sound turns muddy and gravely along with the original sound (similar to when you hold a full chord in harmony mode).
I'm using the unit in an effects chain but when i heard the problem i removed all the effects and just used the unit between the guitar and the amp and nothing changed. Before i go back to the shop looking like a bit of a prick, i'm using a non boss adaptor for the unit, the battery supllied was a cheapy (non duracell) and i also tried it with my adaptor i have with my roland microcube - as the harmony effect is a very strong one could it be that it needs a full strength battery or boss only adaptor or have any of the helpful jemsiters out there had similar problems with the PS-6 of earlier models (PS-5,HR-2).

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 02:47 PM

Reviews: 59
Re: Problems with Boss PS-6 Harmonist

I don't think a different adapter/battery is going to give you tonal differences unless you've been using an improper adapter or the battery is dying. Are you finding this problem across the board or only on very "wet" settings? If it drastically impacts your tone on drier settings, it could be you have a bad one and you might want to consider replacing it. If it's only a problem on the wet side of things, you might want to run it drier or adjust EQ to compensate.
The nature of these pedals is that they do have a significant impact on the tone. Sometimes it sounds great and you like it, however, a lot people (especially those going after very organic tones) hate what it does to their tone and only use it, if they use it at all, in select settings. You'll have to decide. I have the PS-5 and I use it when I'm going for really out there stuff, because it does really change the tone, much more metallic, much harsher. I like it for what I use it for and I don't expect it to maintain my tone transparently since it will never do that.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Problems with Boss PS-6 Harmonist

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to take it back to the store and see if they get the same result as I do, if so get a replacement which I'll try before taking. I've listened to the demo sounds on various sites and the unit sounds great, it might be me misusing the unit, I'll post an outcome later today.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 06:13 PM

Reviews: 4

Is the first thing in the chain of your fx loop the ps-6? Might explain some of it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 06:03 AM

Harmonizers belong in the effects loop, or after a distortion pedal but before delay if you get all your distortion from a pedal. If you place it between your guitar and amp you'll get exactly the sound you describe.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 11:03 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post
Harmonizers belong in the effects loop, or after a distortion pedal but before delay if you get all your distortion from a pedal. If you place it between your guitar and amp you'll get exactly the sound you describe.
I wouldn't imagine that the harmonizer would sound nice harmonising all that distorted fizz. My whammy sounds WAY better straight after my guitar. (even better with a clean boosted signal before it)

Toodles, Julz!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 05:43 PM

Reviews: 59

I put mine right after my tuner and wah, both of which are true bypass. I think they work better with as clean a signal as possible. To each his own, if it sounds better in your loop, go for it but I've always found it's best early in the chain.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 07:04 PM

Yarr effects like this should be early in the chain, it probably can't cope with the line level of the loop.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 01:33 PM

On the FX loop after the reverb and the delay. I tried all combos that i could possible imagine and thats we it sounds sweet to me !

REgards

Tags
roland boss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode