Pulling my hair out - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
Pulling my hair out

Hi all, I'm looking for a decent sized amp that I can use on stage to back a show-choir which I will be accompanying. I would usually be playing in a Large auditorium, or a gymnasium (most competitions are held at schools). My price range is between $300-$700 AT MOST. I tried out a few amps today, the Vox VT80+, and a Blackstar HT5. The Blackstar was a tad too small for what I think I need. I am looking amps made by Vox, Marshall and Blackstar. I would prefer analog circuitry with multiple channels, foot-switchable and a built in overdrive. I loved the Blackstar HT5 for it's simplicity but the overdrive was just a little lacking for me, as my harmonics were fairly fuzzy, and it didn't have a good bite. The VT80+ was good for me because it was very versatile, but a little noisy and complicated to get a good patch. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 10:45 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Pulling my hair out

Do they have a PA?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
Do they have a PA?
Sorry, not sure I follow. Do you mean power amp or pre-amp?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 11:27 PM

Public Address system.

Get a Mesa Express or loanstar. I can't say enough good things about my Mesa.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Public Address system.

Get a Mesa Express or loanstar. I can't say enough good things about my Mesa.
Thanks. I've heard really good things about the Mesa amps, but I was looking at these brands because I know a retailer who can get me a fair discount. How versatile is your mesa?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

haha, just looked at those Mesas, but They're a little out of my price range.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 11:56 PM

Reviews: 1

I have a Kustom Amplifier. Quad Jr 4 channel. Each channel has a buttom to change the tone of the amp. It has the ability to double as a PA system as well. IT is very loud. Can be picked up for well under 750.00 for a Solid state Head and a 4x12 Cabinet. I got mine New for 450.00 last year. I have experiance with kustom, as far as major brand goes. I can say they are versatile amps. They have quite a bit of different style of amps depending on what sound your looking for. some are tube driven others are solid state.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbles View Post
I have a Kustom Amplifier. Quad Jr 4 channel. Each channel has a buttom to change the tone of the amp. It has the ability to double as a PA system as well. IT is very loud. Can be picked up for well under 750.00 for a Solid state Head and a 4x12 Cabinet. I got mine New for 450.00 last year. I have experiance with kustom, as far as major brand goes. I can say they are versatile amps. They have quite a bit of different style of amps depending on what sound your looking for. some are tube driven others are solid state.
Thanks, I've always been curious about Kustom. is there a built in noise gate, and can it take a footswitch?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 12:24 AM

Reviews: 120

Try the Blackstar HT-20
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 12:01 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbouxa View Post
Hi all, I'm looking for a decent sized amp that I can use on stage to back a show-choir which I will be accompanying. I would usually be playing in a Large auditorium, or a gymnasium (most competitions are held at schools). My price range is between $300-$700 AT MOST.

For a little more than that, you can get a Carvin legacy VL100 head that could be with you for life. Great clean channel, nice reverb and a good drive channel...

A carbin legacy combo with V30s is a little more... but could be the best amp you could get at that kind of money... and for 100W!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

You can easily find a used Carvin Legacy head for under $500 and a decent cab for $200-300.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 02:55 PM

Reviews: 59

I'll second the used route for a nicer tube amp. I picked up a Rocket 44 a few weeks back for $500. It's very versatile in settings where you have time to make adjustments (ie recording), and reasonably versatile for live applications. I also like the old DC series and those can be found used in your budget. Mesa's are very tough, a must for a used amp since you never know what it's been through.
Looking new, the Blackstar stuff is really nice and would fit the bill. I'd definitely recommend that. There's also nothing wrong with a good old Peavey Classic 30 and some pedals.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
I'll second the used route for a nicer tube amp. I picked up a Rocket 44 a few weeks back for $500. It's very versatile in settings where you have time to make adjustments (ie recording), and reasonably versatile for live applications. I also like the old DC series and those can be found used in your budget. Mesa's are very tough, a must for a used amp since you never know what it's been through.
Looking new, the Blackstar stuff is really nice and would fit the bill. I'd definitely recommend that. There's also nothing wrong with a good old Peavey Classic 30 and some pedals.
Funny you should mention that, I currently have a Peavy heritage 130 and an over-stacked pedal board. I'd like to sell my Peavy (having output issues and don't want to fix it considering how little I paid for it and how old it is). I'd like to eliminate the use of pedals as much as possible.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 04:35 PM

Reviews: 2

look at all the blackstar venue series, i think they have a 60 watt head that might suit you
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Try the Blackstar HT-20
Thats the one to get

Tags
amps , choosing , finding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode