Puting a low B string on a 6 string guitar - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Puting a low B string on a 6 string guitar

What would happen if i was to put 7-string guitar strings on a 6 string guitar leaving the high E off. Would this be too much pressure on a 6 string guitar neck or would it be fine?

Now i am NOT talking about putting this onto a floyd rose trem, rather a fix bridge.
So the guitar would look like this.

-B
-G
-D
-A
-E
-B

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 10:33 AM

Reviews: 30
I would think it would be fine. I'm sure it's not too much harder on the neck. I think I recall that James Hetfield's new signature guitar comes from the factory tuned down to B, so it should be fine.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Yeah thats what gave me the idea.
However wasn't sure if that guitar was built for that - The Grinch
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 10:39 AM

Putting that gauge of strings on it should be fine if you're tuning down to B.

If you were trying to keep it at concert pitch, that'd be a different story.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 11:34 AM

It will work fine. I have the Zakk Wylde GHS 11-70 strings on a 6 string guitar tuned to B. 70 gauge is heavier than most 7th strings on 7 string guitars.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 12:57 PM

70?? damn, yo... all my 6 string friends think my .56 is pretty bulky. How's the playability when you get that thick?

If you're tuning fown to B, i'd actually recommend doing it this way:

b
F#
D
A
E
B

That way, your 6-string chord voicings and scale parrens will be the same- it'll feel more natural to you. And i mean, it's a simple tuning change to go between this and a "bottom 6 from a 7" tuning- only one half step difference on the F#/G string...

You could definately set up a floyd-equipped guitar this way, too. you'd need to re-intonate, of course, but that and maybe another trem spring and you're in buisness.

-Drew
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 01:06 PM

Isnt the fender subsonic designed for that purpose? im sure i heard that somewhere. or am i getting totally confused
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 03:40 PM

yeah, it works fine.. i've currently got my RG320 tuned to Ab with .14 - .70's on it. The trem is fine.. just takes some adjusting to get it right.

It does feel kinda weird going from my 7 to that though.. the neck feels so damned skinny!

Tags
equipped guitar , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , signature guitar , string guitars , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode