QSC or Crown Power Amp? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

QSC or Crown Power Amp?

I am creating a rack setup and I need advice about a power amp. I have a Pod Pro and am going to get a Furman Plus conditioner to run through a Mesa Rectifier half cab. I play hard rock/metal and want a power amp to deliver enough power but not cause my distortion to become mud. The cab is 140 watts at 8ohms. I don't have the cash for a Mesa tube power amp and triaxis, which is why I'm looking at the alternatives: QSC and Crown. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 12:25 PM

I used a Tube Works Mos Valve for a few years before going the head / cab route in my rig. They're solid state, but they are very warm sounding. I believe the model I had was 90 watts per side. I've seen them selling used for $200 on the auction site.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 03:17 PM

Reviews: 1
If you can drop the coin on a Crown or QSC, you may want to hunt down a used Mesa 20/20, you can get em from $3-400 bux delivered and they are well worth the $$$.

Bamm
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 04:00 PM

check out some VHT power amps the 2/50/2 kicks ass.

Mesa makes some good stuff - 20/20 they make a 50w one forget the name

Carvin has some dirt cheap stuff that Vai, Steve Morse and others use, never used one tho.

20/20 Pod PRO setup was at my local Sam Ash and it sounded great.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 05:22 PM

If you plan on playing at a fairly loud level, don't get the MosValve. They really turn to crap at high volume. At a medium volume they sound incredible. You need as much headroom as possible with Line 6 stuff so make sure you try out whatever amp you are considering at a decent volume.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 05:43 PM

Get something with a high wattage for sure. My Line6 Flextone II sounds great, but at 60-watts, it starts to break up the lowest gain clean stuff when cranked on the headphone jack.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 02:06 AM

I have Ccrown AND QSC amps in my PA. I prefer the QSC - it's cleaner power and MUCH MUCH lighter.

~K
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
I have Crown AND QSC amps in my PA. I prefer the QSC - it's cleaner power and MUCH MUCH lighter.

~K
I have both as well; QSC on top & Crown on subs. I don't think you can go wrong either way - great amps. But if you're buying new, I would look at Carvin as well - great value on most of their catalog.

Tags
mesa rectifier , pod pro , power amp , power amps , rack setup , sam ash , steve morse , tube power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode