Quality of tuners, bridges, nuts and pots - share your experiences! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Paw

Arrow Quality of tuners, bridges, nuts and pots - share your experiences!

Hi! I'm making this post to learn more about a topic I really don't know too much about. I hope other people can find it useful as well.

Mainly, I want to know your opinions on which are the the best quality tuning pegs and hard-tailed bridges (all brands included). I'd like to know about the quality on (non-organic, please) nuts, fender-type bridges and pots too.

Also, if you have the time, I'd like to know which (well known) brands/models you'd recommend against, due to lacking quality.

I'm thinking about buying a Japanese soloist with sealed die cast tuners and the JT390 adjustable bridge with the string-through-body design. How's the quality of these components? I guess they can't be too bad due to the fact that they use them on the select series as well. Anyway, I'd like to hear your opinions.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 05:31 PM

Re: Quality of tuners, bridges, nuts and pots - share your experiences!

sperzel locking is the only way to go, for me.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 06:27 PM

I've had no problems with the Gotoh stuff I used on my builds. Havent tuned the guitar in probably a fortnight and its still almost perfect, and they arent locking tuners. It is a hardtail though. Their bridges are comfortable too.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Banned

I used to be able to keep a stock fender trem floating and in tune through a whole gig.
maybe 14 songs....and that wasn't easy.
I can make any floyd type trem work belive me..
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 09:33 PM

Reviews: 120

Gotoh gear is tops, especially when you consider how little their stuff costs in comparision to other companies wares.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 11:37 AM

Reviews: 2

In my experience some tuners are obviously better than others, however locking i think is just such a better piece of mind and sperzel leads the way in this regard. Plus the gear ratio is pretty high too.

I am knowing more and more professional musician's, session guys and teachers who are switching out the saddles on all their fender style tremolos and replacing them with graphtech ones.

1. They sound better, try it and believe it
2. You don't break strings any more due to the weak alloys of normal saddles
3. You keep tune better because they are very frictionless

As far as it goes for nuts i feel the slippery the better. You have nuts now with fall bearings employed in them and nuts made of every material under the sun. Graphtech do a very nice slippery night but graphite generally is my favourite and the best way to go for tuning stability.

As for stop tail bridges it really depends on your technique. The PRS wrap around bridge is pretty darn stable and friendly but has fixed intonation. Whereas i find the tune-o-matic gibson style bridge requires a certain technique due to how relatively high it sits off the body. A good example of someone refining the tune-o-matic is the bridge on the steve morse models, pretty nice and low set.
I think it really is a matter of preference but making sure it isn't made of cheap metals so that a groove can;t be worn in that will snap strings, i have seen this happen on far too many epiphone guitars for example. A bridge i would love to try out is the ibanez gibraltar bridge, it seems to be a nice hybrid bridge between prs and fender style and looks very classy and not crude. A lot of people worship the tele but i think the bridge and saddles on those things look like they were thrown together in a shed somewhere........

Tags
bridges , nuts , pots , quality , tuners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode