Quarter tone frets - Finally finished the project! Read... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Quarter tone frets - Finally finished the project! Read...

Finally, i've been able to complete what i wanted to do for a long time-adding quarter tone frets to a guitar. The victim is/was a blondeish Squier tele. The process itself was pretty simple, besides finding someone with the right equipment(fret saw and wire) to help me with it. No complicated calculations or measuring was necessary, since all of the frets would go in right between the present ones.

We were unable to find fretwire identical to the one that was used for the frets already there, so the new frets are slightly different looking than the rest. This turned out to be helpful in navigating the fretboard, since it directly shows which notes are "off".

Only the spaces between the 12 lowest frets have been fitted with a quarter tone fret. For a while i considered fitting the whole neck, but this arrangement turned out to be more practical. Not only would it be hard to play in the highest positions due to the small fret distances, but this also means that the higher positions are entirely "regular" tuned notes when i want to keep to that.

So finally, i could put on some strings and tune up. The moment of truth! I started with an opening tuning, exploring the various unusual intervals that i could get with the new frets. There was a lot of melodies to be found in the different modes that i sort of created while playing with it. In fact in a way it was like getting a totally new ear for music right away!Some of the leading tones have a kind of chiming, powerful sound thats hard to describe. I'm really eager to see what kind of compositions i can get out of this.

Later the same night, i was able to do the first real test. There was a open blues jam at a local club, which usually means a few worn-out cover songs and 10 SRV clones. This night was no different, until i decided to join in for some 12-bars. (Most of them went "what the hell is that?" for a short period, then turned to disinterest.)

The quarter tones actually went in the blues style pretty well, as i could focus on the "weird intervals" (blue notes for some) without just using them as transitions through bending. I used a gritty, blues distorsion and i played some pretty fast phrases, shifting down or up in quarter tone steps. Which worked great as an attention grabber, but the musicians were less impressed (blah, a gimmick and not useful musically.)Well for me it was just a proof of the power, or potential power of quarter tones!

The next day, i had a meeting with the yet unnamed prog/art rock trio, and we quickly started to work on some stuff. Now i worked more with the harmonic possibilities, and i got some great Nirvana-style dissonances and very eerie lines when moving the notes in chords around. I am especially fond of the "major-minor inbetween" third, and the matching seventh. The bass player had a hard time following the root notes i was playing, and he's gonna get (or borrow) a fretless bass to play from now on, if we are going to work on this seriously. Unless he decides to let me modify a bass with quarter tone frets to go with it, of course...

Well this has just been a start of course. I'm working to find out more chords and scales for it, and i might do some kind of all-guitar overdub projects that i'll let you hear here. Until then... just a reminder that simple experiments can lead to a lot being discovered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 08:22 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quarter tone frets

Very interesting. Sounds like the project was a success! ...glen
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2001, 10:45 AM

Quarter tone frets

Sounds interesting....!! Why don't you post some pics of the guitar??
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2001, 06:29 PM

Quarter tone frets

Thats awsome man. I wouldnt mind having one myself. It probably wouldnt be my main axe, but it does sound very sweet.
buzz
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2001, 12:11 AM

Reviews: 1
Quarter tone frets

I for one would loveto hear what you have done with the musical aspect thus far.
Bamm
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2001, 12:58 PM

Quarter tone frets

Yeah! Let's hear something. I imagine it opens up some of the possibilities you would have on a fretless without loss of sustain, change of tone and real heavy strings. Very interesting!

I donít think I would be able to look at the neck while playing. It would really mess with my mindÖ and my mind is already messy enough. :biggrin:
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Quarter tone frets

I'm currently not able to record anything. I might do something with the band in a while, but this shouldn't keep anybody from trying. It's even easier to learn than it sounds! At least for me...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 10:17 AM

Quarter tone frets

Find some old TNT cd's. They were a band in *the 80's. The guitarist was Ronnie Lotekro (or something like that). He had the same setup on one of his guitars and use to get some interesting stuff through it....

Dave
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 10:33 AM

Quarter tone frets

Quote:
Quote: from davenit on 9:17 am on April 3, 2001
Find some old TNT cd's. They were a band in *the 80's. The guitarist was Ronnie Lotekro (or something like that). He had the same setup on one of his guitars and use to get some interesting stuff through it....

Dave
Yeah, Ronnie LeTekro is a killer player. *He played a guitar he designed that he called a "quarter stepper". *If you haven't heard this guy play, check them... "Knights of The New Thunder" is a great c.d.

Tags
blues jam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode