The Quest For The Perfect Preamp
I cant decide (sold my marshalls to get a rack rig for when im at Berklee).. so let everyone share there $.02!
im trying to go after a stereo preamp that can offer a great clean (eric johnson), fusion tone (guthrie govan/greg howe), crunch (steve vai rhythm/80s) , and high gain (diezel vh4/Bogner xtc style)..
1. Randall RM4 (cool because you can use 4 modules and they are all tube and good copys of high end amps with great cleans and gain, only bad thing is only offers gain, volume, bass, middle, and treble for each module and its not stereo so i would have to buy two chassis)
2. Mesa Triaxis (Cool because its 4 channels and has different modes in each one, but i heard it is a bit fizzy on the gain)
3. Marshall Jmp-1 (cool 4 channel amp with some extra features, but ive heard the cleans arent great and the gain is again fizzy)
4. Bogner Fish (awesome preamp! but costs a ton and is very hard to find, i dont know a lot of people willing to spend 2.5k on a preamp only..)
5. Engl e570 (heard good things but i have never really heard anything special)
6. Soldano x99 and x88r (Amazing, expensive, and yet impossible to find)
7. Soldano sp-77 (only 2 channels, no midi)
8. Hughes Kettner Access (nice preamp but again very hard to find)
Last edited by jimmypage1stfan; 03-02-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Reason: For your enjoyment