Question? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Question Question?

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know of a way I could change my midi backing tracks into real instruments?

With somekind of software package or something?

Thanks In advance

Darren

Last edited by Darren Wonnacott; 08-17-2005 at 01:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 04:19 PM
rgr

Re: Question?

Not sure I know what you mean by "real instruments". If you are talking about playing real sampled sounds with your midi track, you need some sampler software or hardware.

But what I think you are asking is "How do I turn my MIDI tracks into audio that I can mix down to stereo to burn to a cd, mp3, whatever?" If that is the case, you need to route the outputs of your midi device to inputs of your recording device, then play the track back and record the midi tracks like any other audio source. Of course, by this time the midi tracks are worked out and it only requires one take;-)

Roger
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr
Not sure I know what you mean by "real instruments". If you are talking about playing real sampled sounds with your midi track, you need some sampler software or hardware.

Roger

Hey Roger,

Thanks for your fast reply your first point was spot on I want to play real sampled sounds with my midi track.

Do you know of any good sampling software that will do this?

Thanks for you help!

Darren
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 08:00 AM

If you mean more realistic sounds, two suggestions (software, vst plugs) :

Edirol hypercanvas.
Not great sounding, but incorporates the full general midi bank of sounds, only better, I really like the drums on it. Very cheap and very available.

Steinberg hypersonic.
More expensive, but really nice. A LOT of sounds with very decent quality. Some of the orchestral instruments actually sound better than specialized orchestral software packages.

But the main thing :
Even with the best sounding patches, midi will still be midi. It's always sterile in comparison to someone really playing. However, you have a lot of control over midi notes, you can change dynamics, put the rhythm slightly off, change vibrato, etc.
Only this last and very labour intensieve method will let the sound get real and human-like.

OR.....

GET A BAND !!
(just print the scores and go ! )
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 11:54 AM
rgr

Hypcanvas is a software MIDI Synth, I don't think you can sample sounds or add your own sounds to it. Hypersonic seems to be the same, just more sounds and more powerful. I think Darren wants something that he can trigger his own samples with MIDI.

I have SampleTank SE, but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I also have LinnDrum RMIV which is nice for programming drums. You can play samples with either one, RMIV is geared more toward drums but I think you can play pitched samples with it, haven't tried yet. Both of them came bundled with Mackie Tracktion 2 that I just bought, so I haven't had a chance to put in much time with either. Tracktion was on ly $150US, it was worth that for the plug-ins alone, but it's also a really easy to use but powerful and great sounding recording/sequencing program. I'm using it over Logic Platinum most of the time now.

Roger
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 02:51 PM

i run midi out into hardware.....Emu virtuoso and Emu Proteus 2000. great sampled sounds! then i run the 1/4" jacks to 2-track stereo DAT or other recorder. mixing is done in the midi program...for me it's cakewalk.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 06:49 PM

Native Instruments Kontakt2...they have a bundle with a bunch of sounds in it.....they're great...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Hey Guys

Thanks for your help

Darren
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 11:51 AM

Reviews: 2

If you want a "true" sample then try some virual instrument software out there. If you want to sample let say you guitar and use a midi controller to trigger the samples then use Peak to record to, the USe Halion to sample it.

The Peak software records the sample from the "real" intrument then The sample software converts it so the midi controller can play it back. Reason has the NNXT sampler which works good. I say trash the midi all together and use real instrument to record. But do whatever you need to.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Ibanut

Tags
backing track , midi controller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode