Question about an Axe Fx - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Question about an Axe Fx

Hey everyone!

Right now I have a POD HD Pro X and a Tonelab SE and Im looking into getting an Axe Fx, recently a Axe Fx standard popped up locally for $900 canadian. I was wondering what you guys would think of jumping on this one or saving up/paying more for an ultra or a II?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 01:49 AM

Re: Question about an Axe Fx

My advice would be to make a plan consisting of what you want to do and what you need in order do it. If you want to start a digital modeler collection than maybe the AxeFx is worth buying. If you want to consolidate two modelers into one modeler than the AxeFx might make sense. It is a buyers market so if this is the last used AxeFx you ever see I would say you are not looking hard enough. Additionally, the more cash you have the more buying power you have. Sellers do not want trades and are rarely offered their asking price. Good luck!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! Im looking for something I can use in studio/gigging and I live in an apartment so its great to have something that can be quiet haha. I want high quality amp, cab, effect models in one package. Its just super rare for any Axe Fx to show up for sale used in canada let alone locally it seems which really sucks. If I get one from the states our dollar is only worth 0.75 on a good day and then I have to pay duties, taxes, etc which comes out to around 20%. Do you have any other ideas on where to look? Im also wondering if I should save up/wait for an ultra or even a II
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 04:38 AM

Are you able to check the thing out in person?

I've lost count of how many products (both music and non-music related) were supposed to be the best thing since bottled beer only to find out it didn't live up to the hype.

I don't have any first hand experience with the Axe FX but from what I've seen of it, it tends to be on the complicated side unless you spend a lot of hours with the manual, on the forums and wiki.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 07:54 AM

Which Axe-Fx are you talking about? I'd make sure you're talking at least about an Axe-Fx II for newer. There is basically no support of the original or Ultra any longer, so I'd avoid those.

I play exclusively through an Axe-Fx II Mark II and I love it, although I've always been a modeler person. I have a baby at home and play 95% of the time through headphones. I use the Axe also as an audio interface and an external sound card . If you want to record, it runs straight into your DAW with a USB cable, which is really nice. The latency is basically non-existent and it frees up a lot of system resources for doing things like running other virtual instruments. But if you're not recording you may not care about any of that.

The primary complaint I've heard about the Axe is that it doesn't sound like a real amp, but more like a recording of a real amp. By which I mean there is no cabinet moving tons of air, so you lose all of that, which a lot of people are very used to and like a lot.

Another thing I could see a lot of people not liking is the controls, or lack thereof. The front panel has no traditional controls of any type and is mostly worthless. It's basically good for selecting presets. It's configured more like an old school rack effects unit. I do everything through the Axe-Edit program, which means that it's basically tied to a computer. Again, fine by me but for live use or for someone who likes simply turning knobs, I can see how this thing would be frustrating. Many of those people I'm sure would prefer the Kemper.

Regarding ease of use, I've had this for a long time so I don't remember but I don't think that it's super hard to use. There is definitely a setup process that isn't intuitive and requires you to read the manual. Basic use of the Axe-Edit program is easy but modifying anything can seem daunting. You have all your traditional controls, but beyond that you have a MILLION other things that don't make obvious sense. In effect, what you have is what is available to someone modding an amp, so you can model all sorts of crazy things like input power supply voltage sag, which in a real amp will affect how the tubes behave. Stuff like that. But these all have default values which basically make sense.

What I find most interesting about it is the time based effects (delay and reverb). You can do a lot of neat stuff with those. Think effects like a Strymon Big Sky.

Hope that helps.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 08:30 AM

I own a Mark II and love it as well (would buy another if this one gave out). If you check out any sites that discuss the technology, you will find that most people suggest NOT buying anything less than the Mark II (which is why I waited for one of those). It cost me 2k Canadian used, but the quality of sound, ease of use, and the software capabilities far exceed lesser models. As well, there's not much support (software and firmware updates) on the Fractal Audio site for what you're looking at. You're better off saving your pennies. Kind of repeating what Takin' a Ride is saying.

I don't think there's much of an issue of not turning knobs, etc., in a live performance. You create whatever patches you want at home on your computer, using the super flexible software, and then you simply select your patches live as you would any other type of unit. And the number of effects I that one box, even if you spend 2k, is actually less money than creating some huge pedal board.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 03:31 PM

I bought a Mark II brand new right when the XL came out and they put them on sale. I was never really sure what the difference was with the predecessor? Why is it people don't recommend them?

When I bought my Mark II I looked at the capabilities of the Mark II XL and it was things that I would never need and had no bearing on the sound quality. I see there's another new one. What's the deal with that?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I bought a Mark II brand new right when the XL came out and they put them on sale. I was never really sure what the difference was with the predecessor? Why is it people don't recommend them?
Yeah, I am not sure. I have an Ultra, and granted I only use it for recording ideas, and practicing, but it sounds awesome in my opinion, and you have tons of options. Programming it without the software would not be pleasant, but with the software its pretty straight forward. I used it when I played in a production of Jesus Christ Superstar, and performed well. I cannot speak to the lack of support for the older models, as I have never needed any. Good luck!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 03:52 PM

The difference between the XL and the Mark II has to do with routing options, doing set-ups (in stereo, etc.), and I think there's more memory if you want to add multiple cabs, etc., to the same patch. Likewise, I didn't have much use for the extras of the XL. Heck, I don't use anywhere near the capabilities of the Mark II.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Jeez whered you get a MK II for $2000 CAD? lol Id pay that in a heart beat
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbdj View Post
you will find that most people suggest NOT buying anything less than the Mark II (which is why I waited for one of those)
OK so the difference is actually pretty minor between the two. It's just the connection to the MFC. I now remember this from when I got mine.

What is the difference between the Axe-Fx II (Mark I) and the Axe-Fx II Mark II? | AxeFxTutorials.com

I can see how this could be a serious concern for live use but if this was for studio/bedroom use, I don't think it would stop me from buying a Mark I. Hell, I don't even have an MFC.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 05:59 PM

I got mine off Kijiji (Canada's answer to Craig's List). What should be kept in mind is that the new Quantum firmware (which does sound more 'alive' and real) is only for the Mark II on up. I could be wrong, but I don't think so, based on Fractal's site. Consequently, If you want the best sounding Axe unit, you need to go Mark II or upward. Prior to the Quantum firmware upgrade I thought the Mark II sounded darn good, but when you do side by side sound comparisons, which I did before loading the new firmware (in my DAW), it was 'wow.' Harmonics, tone variations, etc., were more in your face and the sound more 3D.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Damn Ive kept cruising kiji and craigslist for awhile and have never seen one pop up besides that standard.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opendome View Post
Thanks! Im looking for something I can use in studio/gigging and I live in an apartment so its great to have something that can be quiet haha. I want high quality amp, cab, effect models in one package. Its just super rare for any Axe Fx to show up for sale used in canada let alone locally it seems which really sucks. If I get one from the states our dollar is only worth 0.75 on a good day and then I have to pay duties, taxes, etc which comes out to around 20%. Do you have any other ideas on where to look? Im also wondering if I should save up/wait for an ultra or even a II
Now that the experts are here, I would listen to them. It seems buying anything less than an AxeFx II may be unwise. As far as other places to look, there really aren't any secrets in the "high quality amp, cab, effect models in one package" world.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Thansk for all the replies guys it helped a lot! The guy who was selling the Standard locally never got back to me and I hunted down a FX II Mk 1 for $1325 USD so I picked that up instead!

Tags
axe fx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode