Question about Carvin V3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Question about Carvin V3

I always wanted a really nice amp but have never been able to afford one so i ended up with a Crate 350w shockwave. I like it but it's not tubes. What I've always wanted was a mesa boogie dual rectifier because I love the rhythm guitar sound james hetfield gets. Now that I've become a huge Vai fan over the past few years, I really love his tone, like on Live in Astoria. So my question is, I know the V3 could pull off some wicked rhythm guitar but if I wanted to get the insanely creamy sound Vai gets on Live in Astoria, could I pull it off? Or could I only get that sound from a Legacy? Reason I ask is I almost have enough to order one. Thanks!
-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 08:09 PM

Re: Question about Carvin V3

well lets see...

Vai endorses and uses the Legacy so if your going for the Vai sound well its simple by a Legacy and about $2,984,398 worth of rack gear

or

Try and find your own unique voice thats based off your inspirational heros..

I myself am buying a Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb its the perfect amp for me, kick ya in the face rhythm work, good cleans, lots of crunch, and a nice lead tone to boot..

But thats me.. were all different.. But I suggest trying to find your own signature sound it will be cheaper in the end...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man. I know whatcha mean. I don't want his exact sound, I'm just wondering if I could pull off some of that creaminess he gets but also get a heavy metallica like crunch out of it
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 09:30 PM

if I had the choice between the two I would buy the Legacy..
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 09:38 PM

The V3 will get tones in the vibe of a Legacy, but if you want a Legacy get it. It costs less than the V 3too.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 09:40 PM

My first question to you is: Are you looking for an amp for stage use or bedroom use? If you aren't in a band that is playing clubs you're going to get a better tone for your money by buying a line-6 spyder.

If you want a Mesa chugga sound, then go with the Mesa. To my ears, the Mesa is somewhere inbetween the V3 and the Legacy. It is voiced a little bit closer to the Legacy as far as creaminess goes, but has the gain and bite of a V3. To me a Mesa has the darkness of a Legacy but more bite and gain, whereas the V3 has the gain and bite, but not the darkness. However, since the Mesa has a terrible clean, it's not the best of both worlds by any means.

I've heard a lot of V3 clips, including all of those that try to dial in a Legacy tone. I own a Legacy, but from what I have heard, you can only get relatively close to the Legacy with a V3. Don't get me wrong; the V3 is a fantastic sounding amp. No other amp can sound like a Legacy besides the Legacy.

Here's my advice if you are going to go with Carvin and are Vai minded. If you dig his tone before Ultra Zone, go with a V3. You'll get much closer to the Bogner and Marshal amps he was using back then. If you like his Alive in an Ultra World tone and his tone since then, well then pick up a Legacy.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 09:59 PM

I'm getting a V3 It seems really awsome, theres like a 10 day period where you cans end it back and get a full refund, which is awsome..buy a V3 , dont like it send it back, get a legacy, dont like it send it back etc...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzdoc
theres like a 10 day period where you cans end it back and get a full refund, which is awsome..buy a V3 , dont like it send it back, get a legacy, dont like it send it back etc...
Yeah you really have to give it to Carvin there, no-one can beat that.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 11:02 AM
rgr

For the mix of tones that you are looking to get, I think the V3 would be the best bet. The 3 channels will allow you to set up one for your rhythm sound and one for your solo sound in addition to your clean sound. I haven't played one personally, but of the 2 is sounds like the more versatile choice.

Of course, with the Legacy and a DS-1 or SD-1 you could achieve a similar effect, but I don't know if you would be able to get the rhythm and solo sounds you are looking for because they are somewhat dissimilar.

<$0.02
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 01:17 PM

Yeah. The real advantage of the V3 is that the two gain channels are identical. You can set them almost the same, except one with a bit more mids and highs rolled back a tad for a smooth lead tone, and have your rhythm with a bit more chug and bite to it while still sounding pretty much the same.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

damn yall are makin the v3 sound soo good. I don't know much about tubes but I know the v3 comes with el34s. How does the sound change if I changed them out to 6l6s?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 04:06 PM

if im not mistaken 6L6s are more bottom heavy in tone, where the EL34s are more top endish..

Mesa Rectos 6L6
Marshall EL34

etc etc
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 04:26 PM
rgr

I'm a EL34/Marshall kinda guy, right now I'm using EH 6CA7s in my Trace and really like them. They are harder than a standard EL34 but still have some of that flavor. A nice compromise between 6L6s and EL34s (they bias the same as 34s). The JJ KT77 sounds like another nice tube that would fit in that middle ground.

Tags
boogie dual rectifier , dual rectifier , heavy metal , mesa boogie , mesa boogie dual , mesa boogie dual rectifier , mesa recto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode