A question about PA equipment - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

A question about PA equipment

Hey there everyone

About 2 months ago i started playing guitar with a drummer and bass, player and it's been going pretty well. We didn't have a singer so i decided to take the plunge and although i found it hard at first i think im beginning to grasp singing whilst playing. So with this in mind i borrowed a PA system of a friend, had a few ales and went for it. It went pretty well, and it was great to play with a complete band, vocals included. However when i returned the PA the dude i borrowed it from said i blew one of his speakers, which i'm sure i didn't. Anyway he managed to fix it, but now he wont let me borrow it again. So now i'm thinking about buyin a PA system, so could anyone give me some advice as to what i need? I only want to spend 500 pounds maximum, as i havent much money as i need a new marshall too. I dont know if this is not enough for a decent system?Also if anyone knows of a good setup could they let me know? Thanks.

Oh, and who are porcupine tree?I've seen them mentioned on here a few times but never heard any of their stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 12:02 AM

Re: A question about PA equipment

damn you and your pounds lol jk i dont know pounds but what ever they are, they buy stuff with, i would say get a carvin, but i dought you could get one there, and try a fender pa
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 12:24 AM

I think a Carvin wouldn't be the deal in the UK that it is in the US.

Look for used gear. At, what, $800? You won't get muchof a system. An amplified head and 2 speakers, or speakers and a seperate mixer & amp. Listen closely for distortion, because with smaller systems you are at risk for frying tweeters - especially lower capability piezo ones often found in cheaper speakers.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 05:29 AM

Browse the used market (****, classifieds, mags, etc..).

We have a 1000watt system for our band, and I wouldnt like to have anything any less powerful, so I'd aim for that kind of power level. Laney have some nice 2 in 1 power amp / mixer systems.

Two speakers should be enough. I'd check some Wharfdales, they're good value for money over here.

All you need basically is some kind of mixer, a power amp and two speakers. A decent compressor (behringer are cheap) will enable you to get the most of your system by compressing evil volume spikes, so you can turn up louder without clipping or destroying stuff.

PS: Porcupine Tree are an alternative band headed by Steve Wilson, producer for Opeth and an incredible guy. Give them a listen, they're well worth it

Tags
playing guitar , power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode