Question about Pre amp and power amp selection - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Question about Pre amp and power amp selection

Hello everyone...I am trying to see which power amp I should use in order to get an 80's metal tone. I am using an ADA MP-1 preamp...I have read that you should match an MP-1 with a solid state power amp...is that correct? I am trying to get an 80's metal tone here...whitesnake, poison, van halen, Dokken, you get the idea...If not, what Power amp should I match my ADA MP-1 with? I have played it through a Peavey classic 50/50 before and it was fine...but I am interested in hearing your guys' opinions about the difference between using my tube preamp with a solid state power amp or a tube power amp..Thanks in advance everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 09:49 PM

Reviews: 57
Re: Question about Pre amp and power amp selection

I think its pretty subjective. There is no right or wrong power amp, it just depends on what it sounds like to you. Some guys like to preserve the overall tone of the pre-amp more and tend to favor solid state amps that don't color the sound much. Other guys will like the added color and responsiveness of a tube amp.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 10:17 PM

80% of players would prefer a tube power amp with the ADA.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 02:30 AM

perhaps something like a Marshall 9100 ?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 01:22 PM

Reviews: 130

The best 80's metal sound I ever got out of an MP-1 was when I matched it with a Marshall EL84 20/20. The reasons I favor that power amp over the Marshall 9100 or EL34 100/100 is that the EL84's just seem to have a different quality in that configuration and the 20-watts allows you to crank it more to get more power tube saturation to add to the MP-1. You can pick them up pretty cheap (~$500 US, I think) and I believe Mesa also makes a stereo 20-watt single rack space power amp as well. Plus, two rack spaces in an Anvil briefcase and I was a portable 80's metal machine!! I'll be doing a video review on the Marshall EL84 20/20 in the weeks to come, so keep on the lookout!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Good stuff here people...thank you very much!

Tags
preamp/power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode