Ibanez JEM Forum banner
5K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  sebotas86 
#1 ·
hi everyone i am new in jemsite, my name is sebastian. I am getting a new jem 7vwh from ibanez rules and i would like if people who own this model could help me out find the right amp.
I have had a 40 watt marshall (no dfx) for some years now and i wanted to get another (not a new one as they are expensive), i do not have a band and play just at home so i don´t need a lot of power but a good quality/price amp that could handle rock, hard rock and maybe some metal.
PD: i would not get out of marshall (but if you know laney, peavey or even fender and would like to give me some info i would be happy)
That´s it, i would love some answers to this
goodbye and thanks to all the members of this forum

#2 ·
hi dude, I´m from Mexico, first of all congratz on ypur new guitar, evryone says that rich´s set ups are excellent so i´m pretty shure you wont be disappointed, about the amp there is this new brand (or maybe not so new??) named meteoro amplifiers, its a brazilian brand, sepultura uses these amps.
My brother bought a classic deluxe last year and i´m just waiting to have somo extra cash to buy one of those, play it clean and it has an amazing bluesy sound, and with an overdrive/distortion pedal you can go as heavy as you want.
Really good quality and even better price, the smallest amp, the classic deluxe v6 here is around $250, like 720 argentinian pesos?

#3 ·
gracias amigo mexicano, no conozco esa marca meteoro pero si sepultura las usa supongo son buenas. Igualmente busco un ampli mas confiable en marca que de calidad/precio usado probablemente marshall.

pd: is a 50 watt to much loud for a room alone playing?

#5 ·
Although that is true, 50w is very loud, even with a 1x12. I have a 50w amplifier and if I didn't have an attenuator I'd blow my bedroom doors off! If you're looking for bedroom only playing, there really isn't much point in going that high, because you're missing out on the cranked tones you could get with a lower wattage.

I'd look at something like an Orange tiny terror. It's a british voiced amp that is switchable between 7 and 15 watts, the former being ideal for bedroom playing, and latter enough for gigs if you ever do decide to do that. It will take you into mid-gain territory, but a good od/distortion pedal will get you perfect tones for metal.

It all depends on how much you want to spend of course.

#9 ·
not that i am a pro, but i would like to stay in peavey or marshall (fender is out due to some reviews i,ve seen about the distortion)

pd: tank, how is the mini colossal better than other equivalents in peavey line or even a marshall?

thanks to all

#13 ·
I would be tempted to say that Laney's quality control is better than Marshall's, simply because they have smaller production numbers, plus they make a lot of their amps in the UK apart from the really low end stuff, whereas Marshall primarily have their stuff produced in China.

In terms of sound, they are pretty similar. I wouldn't say one is better than the other. But lets just say, I know a lot of Marshall converts that now use Laney. ;) Certainly, you get more for your money with a Laney.

If you are considering Laney for a bedroom amp, check out the VC and Lionhert series. The guy who I bought my GH50L off had just got a VC-30 and it sounded awesome.

#15 ·
The Mini Colosal just has an amazing sound for the price and due to the built in hotplate you can have the high sound at bedroom levels. Friend of mine has one and playing my RG (with Evos) through it sounds amazing. Full tube sound in a tiny package. Very satchy tone of course. I also ordered my 7vwh from Rich last week, so when I get it I can tell you how it sounds through the Mini.

I myself have a JSX with a Mesa 2x12 cab. The JSX sounds just amazing and for a 3 channel full tube head is reasonably priced. I did not like the Peavey cab that much though, so I stayed with the Mesa. With all my guitars (RG, LP, Eggle) it just sounds amazing. Endless gain and punch. Personally I love the sound, but it is very different from marshalls or mesas I had before. But you have a really wide range on how you can alter the sound with the tone controlls.

#16 ·
thanks a lot tank!, so you can tell me too how is the 7vwh considering i am not getting it till december.
About the amp, i love satch but i am looking forward a more gilbert or speed metal tone amp that would give good distortion and a decent clean. (i woul love a two channel one though i don´t know very well the characteristics of this feature)

#18 ·
ok thanks again very good info, in the end i realized just today that i have a 10 watt amp!, the 40 watss was just the electrical supply :) but anyway i´ll get a 30 watts then or 20 . What i look forward is good distortion, quality, nice clean and quality made. That´s why i wonder if laney or marshall will be the choice.
thanks to everybody for the answers

#19 ·
Considering i own a 10 and not a 40 watts (little difference) i was wondering if anybody knows good quality amps for vrsatile tone and good distortion (are peaveys 40 watts too loud for bedroom playing? is the mg30dfx marshalll too loud for bedroom playing ? are these two comparable or at the same level ?)
I know i am asking all the time but i know nothing on amps so i really need info
thanks again

#22 ·
ok probably getting the laney lc15r. A tube amp wich i never had but guess it´s worth the risk.
pd: anybody knows why some say you can´t put a digital pedal through this amp? and wich is a better metal pedal : the metal zone or the Boss ML2 Metal Core Distortion Pedal -what a name-?
thanks for the answers to all

#26 ·
Depends on the amp you use it with but the Metal Core seemed light years ahead of the MT-2 in depth and sound when I test drove it thru a nice tube combo (Mesa F-50). Try it out. ;)

#27 ·
An overdrive pedal should be enough to get you a metal sound. Use the gain from the amp, then use the pedal as a boost to get you into distortion land. The pedals you listed are generally intended to be played through a clean amp tone and provide 100% of the clipping, whereas an overdrive pedal to boost the amp will give you a more natural sounding distortion. Of course, you won't be able to switch to a clean tone, but switching off the boost and turning down the guitar's volume works well enough for me.

Popular choices are pedals like the TS9 or SD-1, but there's loads of pedals out there for you to try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.