Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Question bout Synth Gear

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  isaac 
#1 ·
What would I need to do that kinda stuff. I have always like that idea but never tried it. What equipment would I need and a price range if possible.

#6 ·
The Roland system is pretty good. The thing people complain about with these systems is the tracking delay, that is a small delay after you play the note while the system works out which note you played. The latest Roland gear gets around this by starting an approximate note off as soon as it detects the attack from the guitar and then changing the note to the correct one when it recognises it. Sounds bizarre but it seems to be better to hear a wrong note for a few milliseconds and then the correct one rather than a gap followed by the correct note. The problem with this system is that I think it only works for the built in synth unit. If you midi up to a different synth perhaps because the sounds are better than you may notice the tracking delay.
I use a guitar synth quite a bit in my band to be the brass section in all the soul numbers we do and for that it's perfect.
Also Steve Vai used a synth pickup on a floral Jem on Real Illusions
Jim

#7 ·
Roland GR series synthesizer is quite fun but it has its drawbacks. The biggest one is that you have to mount their external pickup and controls to your guitar. This unit is large, bulky and does not flow well with any guitar. The are Roland ready Strats with all this hardware built straight into them but you have to put up with playing a Strat. You can literally get hundreds of instrument tones and a lot of them sound great although some sound cheesy. Synths really let you explore your creativity because some music just sounds better on other instruments and you won't have to actually learn how to play them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.