A question on Wah pedals - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

A question on Wah pedals

So, I've been wondering this for a few days. My current setup is very simple: Fender Stratocaster > Boss GT-10 > 100W PowerAmp > Speaker

While using the Wah pedal on the Boss though, I noticed that the effect is almost inexistent on the 1st string up on the higher frets. If I play a note on the 15th fret on the high E string, and step on the wah, you barely notice a difference. Is this something expected? Or should I invest on a separate wah pedal? Or is this because of the single coils on my strat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 03:27 PM

Reviews: 59
Re: A question on Wah pedals

It kind of depends. The wah pedal is basically a pot that controls a boost for a frequency. By rocking your foot back and forth, you shift the frequencies that are being boosted/cut to get the classic wah sound. If the particular note you're hitting is not as close to the frequency voicing of the wah, there will be a minimal effect on that tone.
Is the problem apparent throughout the fretboard, or only as you get higher up on the high E?
If it's only as you get higher up, I'd say that the voicing for that wah model is geared more towards mids than the treble frequencies you're dealing with and you need to tweak a little or try a different model.
If the problem is present across the fret board, the problem is a weak effect and should try something different.
In either case, it has nothing to do with your single coils.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 03:29 PM

Reviews: 18

Where did you place the wah in the GT-10's effect chain? You might want to try to put it on the pre-loop of the GT-10 to simulate the wah being on the input of the amp. also, have you played around with the different wah's? I think there are like 4 different types of wah's you can choose from.

Jimmy
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 03:32 PM

Good point. The placement of the wah before or after other effects can have a huge affect on how it shapes tones.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Only on very high notes as I said. Anything up from the 14th on the high e doesn't get affected. The rest of the notes are fine.

I have changed the type of Wah to see if it was it, I've tried to use the custom Wah with extreme settings. But you've hit a good point with the effect chain. I dunno if the compressor is coming first. I know I have the wah before the preamp, but not sure about the compressor...I guess that could be killing the effect on high notes. I'll take a look when I get home and report back
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Well, it wasn't the compressor. Maybe I'll just get a separate pedal later on...although it bugs me a little right now, it isn't a huge problem.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 10:09 PM

Reviews: 18

I'm going to have to try this on my GT-Pro and see if it has the same problem.

Jimmy
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Let me know if you find anything. I didn't get a chance to try some more today...will try over the weekend when I'll have more time.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

I dunno if the compressor is coming first. I know I have the wah before the preamp, but not sure about the compressor...

Is there any chance of you reading its manual?
Come on it isn't that difficult.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

As I said, yesterday I didn't have time to sit down properly and change settings and whatnot. I'll have more time over the weekend to do this I'll take a look at the manual while at work and see if it clarifies anything.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Banned

all the floor effects units ive had,boss gt6 gt8 zoom 4040 8080 the wah-wah has always been crap.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob777vdy View Post
all the floor effects units ive had,boss gt6 gt8 zoom 4040 8080 the wah-wah has always been crap.
Yep that's why I bought a cry baby from hell.
The strongest wah effect ever.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

I've been considering the 535q for a little while. The main reason for my original question is that if it is indeed the fault of the GT-10, then I'll just get a separate pedal I just don't want to buy something and later find out that I didn't have to. I'll invest some more time on the GT-10 wah, but if it doesn't get better, then I'll see about a separate one.

Of course, the fact that I'm thinking about getting a RG7320 doesn't help
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 05:24 PM

The 535q is a good wah pedal, very versatile. I've had mine for years and despite tonal options, I usually keep it on the same one or two settings. I would try to play around with the GT's settings a bit more because there is an awful lot of tweak-ability there. If it doesn't suit you, I would recommend the 535 but I'd also say to give a look at the standard Vox and crybaby's because I realized that what I use on my settings is not much different than the regular (cheaper) wahs out there.

Tags
gt-10 , wah

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode