Questions for G System Users? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Post Questions for G System Users?

I am considering getting one to use with a 2 amp setup, probably using a stereo setup & also running the 2 heads into the Preamp insert loop & loop 4 similar to as pictured on page 27 in the manual.
I have 3 heads to choose from; Carvin Legacy, Carvin Legacy II and Carvin X100B IV. As you can see I like Carvins!
I currently use a similar setup with a Switchbone pedal which allows you to switch between the 2 amps & also run both at the same time but it does not allow you to setup a stereo effect setup.
One excellent thing the Switchbone has is a ground lift capability with an isolation transformer.
I am hoping that the G System will allow me to do all those things mentioned above however one of my concerns is that there may be a ground loop problem when using 2 amps as there is no mention of any ground loop related features in the manual.

Also I need to know in a setup similar to above whether or not the insert loop & loop 4 are processed completely independently?
For example if I was to use The Insert loop of the G Force for one head preamp section with the Drive Channel engaged and feed that to the left Channel output and then back into the power amp section of that same head (Insert Loop send to 1st head front input then 1st head loop send to Insert loop return then Left G Sys Output to 1st Head loop return) and also use Loop 4 as a second insert loop connected to the preamp section of a second head with the clean channel engaged and feed that to the right channel and then back into the power amp section of that 2nd head. (Loop 4 send to 2nd head front input then 2nd head loop send to loop 4 return then Right G Sys Output to 2nd Head loop return)

Would this setup mean that the sounds heard at the 2 cabs connected to each head would remain separately clean & drive?

The routing diagram on page 35 of the manual seems to show that loop 4 & the insert loop are connected in series which would mean that this would probably not work as the preamp settings from the first head would be fed into the input of the 2nd head thus the result would be drive sounds heard at both channels?
However the manual also mentions some extra routing flexibility which is possible following update to Software version 1.05 which seems to hint at this type of capability, and the manual also says that all 4 loops are permanently sending unless broken by connecting a jack to the return socket, which tends to suggest that the loops are actually connected in parallel & not in series as indicated in the routing diagram on page 35?

The manual also talks about using balanced cables when connecting a preamp to the insert loop. Is this really necessary when connecting the font input & Send from a head as obviously most head inputs & effect loops only have a normal jack connector rather than a balanced TRS type jack anyway.

Also any advice you can give me regarding expression pedals? What type is best for both Volume & other Parameter control, i.e. Wah & Whammy?
I have had some experience with the Line6 & Roland types which seem to be of a pretty cheap & nasty construction to me.

The G System looks great (well it's good enough for Vai!!) However I believe that he uses it in the effects loop of his amp and plugs the guitar straight into the amp front end rather than inserting the preamp into the insert loop.
Guess the drawback with that is that if you use the Filter or Compression effects they will be in the wrong place in the signal chain?
Also any drive pedals placed into the loops will also be in the wrong place.
As Vai uses his own Wah that would not be an issue to him, also he does not really use distortion or OD pedals apart from as a boost at the front end so the latter would also not worry him.
I have also read some reports that the G System can be a tone sucker!? That is important to me & if that is the case I would probably pass.

Last edited by bucket_bot; 08-13-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
g system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode