Quick question on 2x12s - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Quick question on 2x12s

Hi everybody,

I have a quick question, and I did a search, but most threads did not seem to cover this question...Does any body know if the mesa 2x12 can run in stereo, or does it have only one input? They don't even say on the specs on the mesa site....Same question applied to VHT and Bogner 2x12s....thanks in advance, later, Tobe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 09:40 PM

Re: Quick question on 2x12s

I believe that the mesas ship with a mono jack plate and a parallel out. But converting to stereo is only a matter of calling mesa and having them ship you a stereo/mono pre-wired jackplate. Then all you have to do is solder the speaker wires and you're golden. Cost is like $20 shipped and about 10mins. of work.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great info Gresh!, any one know about VHT or bogner?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 04:53 PM

Me again, just as with the mesa fix, it is easy to convert any 2x12 cab to stereo, you just need another 1/4" jack. Drill a hole in the existing jack plate, install the jack, solder one speaker to each jack. Mesa makes it easy because they'll ship you a 4x12 jack plate that has the two stereo jacks in it, plus a third jack that is the original mono configuration...all pre-wired.

So I wouldn't judge what cabinet to get by whether you can get it configured mono or stereo cause you can convert anything. The real deal is how they sound. Mesa 2x12s are a great choice, but so is Bogner and VHT so you need to listen to all of them. I have a bogner 4x12 and can attest to the fact that their cabinets rule, but that comes with a price. Mesa is a little more reasonable.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Gotcha Gresh,

I have a Mesa road ready 4x12 with EVs in it, that is great, but I'm building another set up, and I want to have a smaller cabinet. I do lots of out of town shows for the weekend kinda thing, where it would be nice to have a little more space in the van, for sleeping etc..My new set upis going to consist of all my existing rack gear, plus my VHT 2150 that I have had lying around forever, and a mesa recto recording pre...So I need a 2x12 that can roun stereo, and one that I won't blow up with the 2150. The problem is that bogner and VHT cabs are harder the anything to find around here...no one has them in stock, and there is a difference between a 2x12 and a 4x12....but I think I'd rather go with VHT or Bogner...I was quoted 649 for a bogner 2x12 at a local store, which really is not that much more than a mesa recto 2x12....Thanks again for the info! take care, Tobe

Tags
jack plate , mesa recto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode