R.I.P. AlaskaBat's...... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Reviews: 98
R.I.P. AlaskaBat's......

....Carvin Legacy took a crap today! Had it cranked, heard a pop, smelled some electrical burning, and some smoke coming from the input jack. Fuse was popped, so I reset it--waited an hour--same thing. Probably the transformer. Man, I love that amp--best I've ever owned! I hope I can get it fixed. If not, I'm in the market for a new amp----keep your eyes peeled in the classifieds for a WTB thread soon...LOL!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 03:15 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: R.I.P. AlaskaBat's......

Damn that sucks! I'm sure a tech can fix it for you though.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 05:45 AM

it should be reparable. Maybe a faulty output tube took at a grid resistor.. something like that would probably just set you back a matched set of tube and a resistor...

Have you taken a look inside the amp? Post some pics if you open it up maybe I can figure it out.

Goodl luck,
Nelson
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I was going to open it up tomorrow and have a look. When I turn it on, even in standby--I get all kinds of bad noise and SMOKE coming from the input jack...

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 07:22 AM

PLEASE be careful...if there's smoke coming out of the input jack, you don't want to become a baked Alaska...well, fried seems more appropriate, honestly.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 09:45 AM

Reviews: 1

Hope you get it fixed. The Legacy I is now discontinued at Carvin.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 10:14 AM

Reviews: 2

Dude...I'm really sorry!!! I built a really creepy altar for my dead GK....maybe you should do the same, it really helps with the healing!!!!.........LOL

Just kidding, this is the perfect opportunity for you to discover "Mercury Magnetics". A new tranny and a choke will not only bring you back to life, but it's similar to putting your Legacy on CRACK!!!!!

http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/mainframe.htm

I used a tranny/choke set on my B-52 and it REALLY made a massive difference in the head. When I A/B'ed against a stock AT-100 there was no comparison at all........ my B-52 turned into a Mesa Dual-rec over night..... you can't believe the difference!!! As a bonus, the infamous "B-52 Heat Bloom" vanished....... it now runs cool enough to keep on ALL DAY LONG!!! B-52's are known for severe heat issues...... with the stock tranny, I was creating a hole in the ozone right here over little ole' New Lenox!!!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 10:18 AM

Reviews: 11

My amp recently "blew". If the pop was really loud, it was more then likely the output transformer overloading.

Sounds like a good time for a variac
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 11:09 AM

Let's take a look at the guts... I wanna see where the smoke is coming from....

Nelson
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I was already going to go that route on tthe fix--you're reading my mind again. Damien did that once one something else--you two are creeping me out now...LOL!
What happened was--I was starting to record an audio review of the Ibanez BB9. I had no cabs connected and was running straight from the voiced line out. I had the drive all the way up and the volume almost full up. I used the pedals level knob to control the signal level into my recording console. After I hearp the pop and smelled smoke--I shut down. I noticed the fuse lever popped out and reset it.....waited an hour, tried again. Then, smoke came out of the input jack, so I decided to leave it alone before I blew up the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Dude...I'm really sorry!!! I built a really creepy altar for my dead GK....maybe you should do the same, it really helps with the healing!!!!.........LOL

Just kidding, this is the perfect opportunity for you to discover "Mercury Magnetics". A new tranny and a choke will not only bring you back to life, but it's similar to putting your Legacy on CRACK!!!!!

http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/mainframe.htm

I used a tranny/choke set on my B-52 and it REALLY made a massive difference in the head. When I A/B'ed against a stock AT-100 there was no comparison at all........ my B-52 turned into a Mesa Dual-rec over night..... you can't believe the difference!!! As a bonus, the infamous "B-52 Heat Bloom" vanished....... it now runs cool enough to keep on ALL DAY LONG!!! B-52's are known for severe heat issues...... with the stock tranny, I was creating a hole in the ozone right here over little ole' New Lenox!!!!

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 01:35 PM

wow bummer about ur amp bat..hope you can get it fixed asap...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 02:07 PM

Reviews: 6

maybe a component on the power supply circuit, a diode can sometimes be shorten after it broke, not usual but may happen
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_jr View Post
maybe a component on the power supply circuit, a diode can sometimes be shorten after it broke, not usual but may happen
Pretty sure it's the transformer, not to mention a few other things.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 03:00 AM

Reviews: 34

The mercury magnets idea sounds awesome! Makes me want to blow up my amp!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode