Rack Effects - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Rack Effects

Yo guys

Firstly I have to say im a complete newbie when it comes to rack effects - you'll probably gather that from the questions I have. I have been playin guitar for about 10 years now and I have quite a bit of spare cash floating around and I'm thinking of spending it on some effects. Rather than the pedals I'm thinking of going for the rack effects. I have never even used any before so here come the newbie questions...

When I buy one (lets say its brand new out of the box) what comes with it? Do I just plug my guitar into it, and plug it into the amp?
How do I connect multiple effects together?
Are they better quality that pedals?

I know these are probably really stupid questions, I'm kinda hoping someone somewhere has a mini guide to rack effects to help me.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 02:04 PM

when you open the box of a rack effects processor all you get is the processor, the ac adapter, and the manual. maybe a midi cable.
when connecting a processor use the effects loop of your amp, do not connect the guitar to the effects to the amp. if you have a preamp then connect it between the preamp and the power amp. also to switch the programs in you processor you are going to need a midi pedal board, there are several that do a great job or you are stuck switching them by hand. as far as cables go you will need 2 regular 1/4 cables, input and output, per processor and a midi cable to switch the programs. if you are going to buy several processors i suggest you get a furman power supply to connect everything and also keep your rack organized and clean using the smallest size cables possible and using velcro to stick all the ac cords to inner wall of the rack. if not you'll see how quickly everything will bunch up. the processors sound great but you will need alot of patience and time to get the sounds that you like and with so many options it will drive you nuts a couple of times.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 02:21 PM

My guitar tutor has a very simple but effective setup. I didnt think you could have it that simple.

All he has is a PreAmp and a MultiEffects unit. Then they are rigged straight up to some marshall cabs.

Incredibly simple setup but sounds fantastic.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 08:20 PM

Thier has to be a poweramp in thier somewhere. You cant drive speakers without an amp which a pre and fx units are not.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 04:07 AM

yeh - he has an old Marshall Poweramp at the bottom.

But they are the only 3 units in his rack
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 04:16 AM

3 good units will beat 20 'not as good' units

my guitar teacher has the same setup and it sounds brilliant
BUT that's because of the Egnater IE4 preamp and Carvin 100w poweramp
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 04:19 AM

Yeh i know what you mean. It could be quite a cheap setup as well.

If you are looking on the "used" market, the whole package (preamp, poweramp, multi fx unit and cabs) wont come to too much......

Well, not if you compare it to buying it new!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 11:41 PM

When you hook up your rack effects to an amp - if it isn't a rack style power amp- make sure you don't run gain devices through your effects loop. You could kill your amp. You should only run line level effects (phaser, flanger, delay, chorus, ect.) through your effects loop - not distortions and gain boosting devices.
I use a Digitech GSP 2112 w/ all the upgrades and I have great luck with it. I have heard a lot of good things about the G major as well. Try a couple different amps -marshall 8008, mosvalve mv962 (what I'm using) and I am sure others can name of quite a few others that are good for the $. Good luck and let us know when you get ready to plug in and are in need of advice on the set-up.

Tags
marshall cabs , midi pedal , pedal board , power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode