rack FX, in fxloop or after pre? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

rack FX, in fxloop or after pre?

just curious,
what are the actual differences between putting a rackmount multiFX like the Gmajor in the effects loop or simply after the preamp, before the poweramp??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 09:49 PM

using the loop isn't necesarally going ot change anything.Some very good amps have veyr high quality paralell effects loops.Paralell means that the loop takes part of yoru preamp signal and sends it to the processor ,then takes the processed sound and mixes it back into the unaffected preamp (dry) tone.This is the best and most natural souding effects routing.

If oyu have a serial; effects loop, then your whole preamp signal goes to the effects unit, goes back to the preamp adn goes to your power amp after it leaves the preamp's outputs.The only reason to use a serial loop is if oyu need to stuff something extra into your preamp that you cannot otherwise patch into it.

Some guys use the triaxis because its effects loop is switchable on/off.They might stick a small EQ pedal into it to change the tone or give a certain preset a volume boost for solos or something like that.

I hope that helps
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

thanks, i understand loops clearer now

but what's the difference between using, say a parallel loop or simply not using a loop?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 02:48 AM

it's a question of sound and preferences, i think.
most FX units dont sound good if you route your whole signal into, then you better route them in a loop, cause the loop doesnt take your whole signal, but just a little percentage, and it deals with it only.
so you'll have your original dry signal untouched going to the amp, and mixed up with your effected signal.

a general rule: run your distorsion/compression/wah pedals before your preamp, then route your delay/reverb/chorus pedals in a loop: you'll sound better.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno
it's a question of sound and preferences, i think.
most FX units dont sound good if you route your whole signal into, then you better route them in a loop, cause the loop doesnt take your whole signal, but just a little percentage, and it deals with it only.
so you'll have your original dry signal untouched going to the amp, and mixed up with your effected signal.
so are you saying not using the loop will sound basically like using a serial loop?

ps: i know about the 'general rule' but i'm talking only about a rackmount multieffects unit
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 10:13 AM

if your FX unit is not a good unit, then yes.

and yes again, i was talking about rack units too, the basic rule remains the same.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 10:28 AM

just a note, the g-major is incredibly transparent and won't act to degrade the tone of your preamp if you do decide to run it serial. and serial is the way that tc electronics suggests to run the g-major to get the full possibilities of the processor. i'm running mine in serial- hughes and kettner access>>>g-major>>>mesa 50/50>>>mesa 4x12 and i'm very happy with the tone i'm getting. if i ever have any time i'll try some of the other routing possibilities afforded by the access's 3 fx loop, but for now everthing sounds great.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

thanks somata that clears things up
i only have serial loop capability anyway so it should work out nicely
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 09:09 PM

I run my G-Major between the preamps and poweramp, and it sounds better there than in the loop of any preamp I've tried it with in my rig (Marshall JMP-1, Rocktron Piranha, Mesa Formula, Mesa V-Twin, Peavey Rockmaster - those are the ones I can think of off hand, anyway...) I don't know why, but the tone just seems punchier, more dynamic and more present when I run the signal out of the preamp, through the G-Major and into my 20/20... ymmv, of course...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 10:53 PM

The best way to run a processor is through a separate line mixer. T.c. say that there is no tone degradation when setting up there unit in series like they suggest. This is totally bogus!! Plug into you're amp. Then plug into the g-major and bypass all the efx. You see what i mean! Some people notice a slight diff. but some people like me find it unacceptable. A line mixer is the only way to go. There is no tone getting eaten up by the A/d converters. The only downfall with the G-major is it inability to be run in parallel. If someday you want to get a few more pieces of rack gear and have the whole switching system and line mixer going on you will not be able to do it. The g-major is only good for serial. And almost all proffesional musicians and rack gurus wouldnt dare sacrifice there tone to run something in series. Go to hugeracks.com and read there intro about line mixers.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

i really want a g major so i guess when i get it i'll just try both, serial loop
and pre>fx>power
thanks for the info

Tags
chorus pedal , marshall jmp , peavey rockmaster , power amp , rocktron piranha , wah pedal , wah pedals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode