rack gear? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

rack gear?

hey

Been hunting around for some new gear, and was interested in getting some rack shiz, mainly the BEHRINGER feedback destroyer for my JSX (the amount of gain I like to use and my guitar pickups hum a bit). Wondering what exactly do I need to run one.
Also want to know if its any better than a stompbox that would filter the hum.
Maybe some other general rack info

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 09:08 AM

Re: rack gear?

Make sure you can return it! Not that it's a bad idea or unit, but there are potential problems:
1) These things lock in on feedback frequencies as they start to occur. With mics, there are a couple frequencies that stand out, depending on mic & monitor combination that's feeding back. Guitars have a BUNCH of different frequencies, depending on what you're playing (unless a microphonic pickup is the problem). You'll be locking down a lot of frequencies over a set.
2) Because it uses narrow band filters, you'll change your sound. For this reason, only use it in the monitor loop. If your feedback is coming from your amp or your mains, this won't help and you'll have to put this unit in the FOH (main) signal chain. Not good, sound-wise.
3) By cutting hum this way, you'll cut 60 Hz on your guitar, and probably some harmonics (120, 180, 240, etc). This will suck out your bass (especially if you use a 7 string or detune to B)

So, I would try to fix your problems at the source. For hum, look over your amp and pickups to determine if there's another fix you can live with. I can almost guarantee the result will be better than filtering after the fact. For feedback, figure out the main causes and fix it there. Feedback destroyers are band aids.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 12:46 PM

Yeah, don't use a feedback eliminator.

Use a Rocktron HUSH or a Boss NS-2..
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 02:13 PM

ISP decimator pedal or prorack G. Its a noise assassin.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 02:49 PM

the prorackG is waaaay to expensive @ $400+, when a NS-2 or HUSH would suit his needs just fine at under $100...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 09:00 PM

i am really happy with my mxr noise gate

Tags
isp decimator , rocktron hush

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode