Rack Mounts - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Rack Mounts

Any one know of some good rack mount amp and effects modellers besides the AXE FX??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 03:16 PM

Re: Rack Mounts

Older Units:

Digitech Gsp 2101- I owned an artist one for a while but it got damaged. They are large rack units versatile extremely tweakable units and there are a few websites dedicated to them. a good deal would be around 100 for a studio and around 200 for an artist.

ART SGX 2000- I haven't owned it, but a lot of people testify to its greatness claiming it is far ahead of its time almost as versatile as the 2101 also very large rack units not sure of what a good price could be.

ADA Mp-1 -(preamp) only mentioning it because it has an awesome 80's tone and chorus effect (the only effect). good price range 100-150

Boss Gt pro- boss gt 8 for rack nuff said

newer units:

gsp 1101- mixed reviews closest gsp to the 2101 in terms of versatility except it's tubeless and takes up less space. Micheal Amott uses one. these go for 2x the 2101's price

tc electronic g major 2: fairly versatile I believe Orianthi uses it. not sure of price.

I know more but I get a headache thinking about them I'll post again if i can think of some.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 03:22 PM

Oh, the GSP 2112 and the 2120- less tweakable than the 2101 even though they are later models (because the 2101 requires a good hour to create a couple of good presets). The 2120 is a later version of the 2112. Again not sure of price because ive seen them go for some erratic prices.

the older GSPs are not as awesome as the 2101, 2112, and the 2120 but they go for cheap (under 100)
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 03:26 PM

I had an SGX2000 for a few years back in high school (in the 1990's, when it was brand new). I do remember liking it a lot, except that it got a bit noisy when the gain was up high and the compressor was on. I did play with a lot of gain and compression back then though, perhaps I would use less now. But the noise was one of the things I remember not caring for too much. I never liked noise gates, but maybe a good noise gate today would help. Otherwise it did some pretty awesome things for the money. I had considered getting another one off of eBay recently. I replaced it with an ADA MP2 and a cheapo ART minimally programmable rack effects unit (for delay and reverb mostly) and I was never as happy with it. I don't have either anymore.
I remember at that same time, the Rocktron Chameleon (I think that's what it was called) impressed me quite a bit, though I think it was all solid-state. The SGX2000 and the MP2 both had tubes, so I leaned toward those at the time, plus I think the Rocktron may have been more expensive.
My 2 cents.

edit: one of the things I liked best about the SGX2000 were the knobs on the front that I could grab and turn easily. The MP2 was all buttons, to change a setting, push edit, then push buttons to reach the setting you want to tweak, push buttons to go up/down, push button to save. The SGX2000 was really easy to use in that regard. There was even a knob for editing your programmable settings, in addition to the front panel knobs for drive, volume, low, mid, treble, etc....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 03:29 PM

My all time favorite, Rocktron Prophecy!

Digitech 2120 Artist
ADA MP-1 with an aditional EQ and FX
Rocktron Chameleon
Rocktron Voodu Valve
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 05:08 PM

The eleven rack is often called the poor man's axe-fx but it has mixed reviews of its modeling capabilities.

Tags
rack mounts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode