Rack problems and questions - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Rack problems and questions

First off, I'll start by saying I have two rack set-ups: one with just a couple pcs for my 5150 head (I'll post another thread for questions about that later..) and my all rack rig.
The all rack rig is as follows:
Furman power supply
Sabine RT7000 tuner
Digitech 2112 (with the artist upgrades)
Mosvalve MV962 power amp
sometimes a BBE 462 sonic maximizer
AKG WMS40 body pack wireless
ART X-15 floorboard
Either 4x12 customized 400wtt cab or Peavey Wiggy 2x12 cab (I had it custom covered from the factory to match a XXX cab)
I'm not really pleased overall with the tones and feel it might be the power amp more so than the Digitech. The Digitech is capable of some amazing stuff having two independent processors built into it with a 12ax7 warming the overall tone in the preamp. The Digitech lets me change patches without cutting the tails off of my delays and effects. I also get some "radio frequencies" and immediately pulled my wireless but the problem still existed.
I like the tone in my 5150 head using a BBE462 in the effects loop but I love having the flexibility of the processor. I can set up presets for acoustic gigs or monster tones for the electric stuff. Lately I have been doing both to offer a variety at my recent acoustic gigs. I just don't want to give up the flexibility or spend 1000's. I have read about the VHT power amps and the Mesa power amps and they both sound as if they would probably kick the crap out of my Mosvalve! I don't have any stores that sell either of those so I could try them out - so I can only go on what I've read so far.
Any advice on any part of this topic would be greatly appreciated -thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 03:03 AM

I don't know anything about the Mosvalve. I can tell you that my Mesa 50/50 is great! I took a shot in the dark when I bought it on eBay, but I'd done some research and felt that I couldn't go wrong (unless I was flat out ripped off). It's very warm -- even when playing directly through it without a preamp -- but it doesn't interfere with the preamp's sound (I have a 2120 that I'm not altogether happy with).

As far as the radio frequencies go, I would eliminate pieces one at a time until you locate the culprit. I dunno, you might need the humfrees I've seen advertised in MF for racks.

Hope this helps at least a little!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

I'll give the hummfrees a shot. I am guessing the frequncies are related to the processor - but I haven't pulled it and tried things w/out it. I don't have a preamp to use in place of it - but I'll get my hands on a loaner to try it out without the 2112 and see if that solves my frequencies ala radio problem. Will the hummfrees eliminate things like that ? I thought they would just eliminate ground hums and other related noises?
Todd
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

I'll give the hummfrees a shot. I am guessing the frequncies are related to the processor - but I haven't pulled it and tried things w/out it. I don't have a preamp to use in place of it - but I'll get my hands on a loaner to try it out without the 2112 and see if that solves my frequencies ala radio problem. Will the hummfrees eliminate things like that ? I thought they would just eliminate ground hums and other related noises?
Todd
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

BTW- what do you not like about the 2120? My 2112 has the artist upgrades and the 2120 upgrades as well. I haven't had it too long , so I'm still trying to dial in my sounds and understand the midi controller interface as you have to program every little thing to use a non proprietary device with the 2112. I used to have a 2101 and I had wonderful results but I wasn't using a rack amp. I used a Peavey bandit as a slave amp to power a 4x12 cab for the 2101. I used to get lots of complements on that sound.
Todd
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 11:49 AM

I don't know whether the hummfrees would help with the frequencies -- it's not much more than a guess on my part. I'm certainly no expert.

I don't care for the 2120 because it's just so complicated to program. Once programmed it's great, but with all the pages and pages of settings I go nuts. I've decided that I like simple and having all the knobs right in front of me. Somtimes it'll take me a while to figure out how to change a particular setting. Then weeks later when I have to do it again to another patch, I've forgotten how and have to figure it out all over again. Bottomline: I've said in other posts that I'd rather play my guitar than spend the time learning how to use a particular piece of equipment!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 12:12 PM

i'd second the suggestion of the mesa 50/50...i've been very pleased with mine. i run it in half power (15w/side) mode and its painful at around 3...plus only 4 tubes to switch out when it comes time, instead of the 8(?) of a 2:90 i love it. the digitech 21XX/mesa 50/50 combination is used by one of the guitar players from the death metal band origin, and it sounds fantastic...
and used they are pretty reasonably priced...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somata
i'd second the suggestion of the mesa 50/50...i've been very pleased with mine. i run it in half power (15w/side) mode and its painful at around 3...plus only 4 tubes to switch out when it comes time, instead of the 8(?) of a 2:90 i love it. the digitech 21XX/mesa 50/50 combination is used by one of the guitar players from the death metal band origin, and it sounds fantastic...
and used they are pretty reasonably priced...
Ah, the 2:90 isnīt that bad. I love mine
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Anybody using the VHT 2/50/2? I hear great things about them and if they sound as good as they look....
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 03:51 PM

The VHT 2/50/2 is far superior to any mesa boogie amp. But if you want a power amp that is at the very very top of the game, get a VHT 2/90/2 or a 2150.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 04:39 PM

Some users say the 2/50/2 is too weak.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro
Weak? The volume difference between a 50W amp and a 100W is only about 3dB so that's not true at all. The only thing you gain with a 100W amp is slightly more head room.
When I play with my band I've had the 2/50/2 volume at about 4 at the most and then it's painfully loud even with ear plugs and all other instruments (including drums) are drowned out.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 09:56 AM

Ah, the 2:90 isnīt that bad. I love mine [/quote]

sorry i didn't mean to sound like i was talking smack about the 2:90...its a great amp. i'd get one if my spine weren't already compressed from lugging aroud the rack and mesa 4x12, because damn is the 2:90 a lot heavier than the 50/50. i swear mesa makes its stuff from lead, concrete, and dead bodies
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro
Weak? The volume difference between a 50W amp and a 100W is only about 3dB so that's not true at all. The only thing you gain with a 100W amp is slightly more head room.
When I play with my band I've had the 2/50/2 volume at about 4 at the most and then it's painfully loud even with ear plugs and all other instruments (including drums) are drowned out.
Thatīs relative...

A 50 watt Single Rectifier
blows any Marshall head...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 03:55 PM

as for your radio reception problems, it sounds like it could be a shielding and/or grounding problem with your guitar that's probably where i would start...
you may also wan't to isolate your individual rack units from the rack and each other (using humfrees for the rack and those little self-adhesive rubber dot feet you put on the bottom of lamps and things for between units.) also make sure that the routing of your wiring follows the all power on one side, all audio on the other, and preferably midi down the center, rule. shorten all your power cables if you can so they are only as long as they need to be, same goes for the audio cables... good luck!

Tags
death metal , guitar players , mesa boogie , mesa power amp , midi controller , peavey bandit , power amp , power amps , sonic maximizer , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode