Rack setup / loadbox questionnn - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Rack setup / loadbox questionnn

Hey dudes

Im playing through a rack setup of

isp decimator > ada mp1 3tm preamp > tc gmajor FX > mesa 2:90poweramp > mesa recto cab 2x12

i dont have the gear to mic up my cab just yet , but i do have an ADA Microcab 1 cab emulator , that i can use to direct record on my laptop , but it means dropping out the mesa 2:90 and cab, resulting in a thin preamp and fx only tone

Is there any way i can use a loadbox to run my mesa 2:90 in the equation and get a mega powertube tone into my laptop ? what layout would you use ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:23 AM

Re: Rack setup / loadbox questionnn

Hey!

I'm considering getting a similar setup as yours and I have the same problem.. I'd like to have a preamp running silently (possibly on headphones) and somehow get the poweramp and cabinet simulations into the equation..

So far the only viable solutions I've found is

1) Get the MP-1 preamp direct out into your laptop (you will probably need an audio interface for this). Then using Pod Farm you can use it's amp model called "Power Amp" which simulates a poweramp, and the use a convolution VST plugin to load cabinet impulse responses.

2) Get a a DI box with power soaker that takes the output of your poweramp and passes it to a line out level. It should not have cabinet speaker emulator or you should be able to disable it. Again take this signal into the laptop, and use the convolution VST plugin to load cabinet impulse responses. This time you don't need any Pod Farm since you have your own power amp in the loop.

3) Just take the line out of the mp-1 into the laptop, and use a convolution VST plugin to load cabinet impulse responses without a poweramp.. this might sound good enough depending on the preamp you're using.

However all of these options require you to have a laptop running, which is one piece of equipment that can fail. I still couldn't find a piece of gear that can load these cabinet impulse responses except for the Axe-FX which costs one of your kidneys.

See more stuff here:

http://www.redwirez.com/tutorials.jsp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode