Re-tubing a boogie with different tube types - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Re-tubing a boogie with different tube types

I have done a forum search and cant find what i need to know, so im asking

My problems is i own a mesa nomad, well thats not a problem, its quite nice actually, but the problem is i want to change tubes from 6L6s that i currently have to EL34s.

I can get these tubes from mesa boogie, use the boogie own brand tubes so to speak, but they are so friggin expensive compared to other tube brands.

I was wondering seenig as a boogie is fixed bias, can you use other brand tubes? For example could i get some EL34 tubes from www.watfordvalves.com as long as they were matched just chuck em in the amp and go. Or would i need to get the mesa ones because in effect they are biased to the amp.

If i did get the mesa ones, could i then send one off to somewhere like watford valves and ask them to send me 4 more that are the same bias (in effect ) back to me so i can use those.

Thanks

Al M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 05:16 PM

You can use any type of EL-34 you want. The "Mesa" silkscreening on the tube does not make it any better, but rather more expensive (you pay for a Groove Tubes/Mesa name). Just make sure that you flip the bias switch in the amp to take EL-34s. Make sure you get a matched pair (most places will sell nothing else) and look around. I have had good luck going here for tubes, I re-tubed my Marshall JCM 800 with new EL34's and 12AX7's for a little under $50. And I know that is pocket change compared to a Groove Tubes retube, not to mention I got better tubes. I would recommend the EH's, but I have heard nothing but good reviews about JJ and Svetlana tubes aswell. Bottom line, don't buy into the hype of boutique tubes because you are just paying for the name on them. Groove Tubes (and I've tried them) are crap compared to alot of other tubes on the market, they are just Chinese tubes with "the name" on them. Good luck with the re-tube!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

So i can use any tubes? Seeing as the mesa is fixed bias doesnt that mean that any old tubes could run too hot or too cold? Thats why i thaught you were supposed to get mesa ones, because they are matched to the amp.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 06:22 PM

How hot or cold tubes run will change with each set of tubes. Even Mesa tubes vary alot; so will any other brand. Because you can't bias a Mesa, it's more important to just get a set of matched tubes than it is to get ones that matched your old ones. There is no bias that a Mesa amp should "run at", it all depends on what tubes are in there. I think in the end, how hot or cold the tubes test that you put in will have a minimal effect on the sound of your amp (that is just my understanding of a fixed biasing amp).
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al M
So i can use any tubes? Seeing as the mesa is fixed bias doesnt that mean that any old tubes could run too hot or too cold?
Any amp using 6L6s or EL34s must be biased correctly for optimum performance! That you cannot bias a Mesa is a gob of bulldung. If there is no bias adjustment in the amp, it is recommended to install a trim pot. It is a fairly simple mod and thus should be cheap.

http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-n.htm More rap on the subject. Good luck with your quest for tone!

Tags
groove tubes , mesa boogie , mesa nomad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode