Re-wiring for stereo - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Re-wiring for stereo

I am soon to get a stereo rack rig and I would like to rewire my mesa 2x12 for stereo operation. It has one input, and one parralleld output, and seeing as I never use the parralled out Im just gonna rewire that for the second input. Am I right in thinking that I just need to run wires from each socket to each speaker (obviously one for positive and one for negative) but is it really that easy?

-better shred than dead-ANDY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 11:54 AM

Yes it is that simple if that's the way you want to do it. Another option is to do what I did and have Mesa send you a pre-wired jack plate so you can run it either stereo or mono. They sent me a pre-wired 4 hole plate with the last hole plugged up, all I had to do was solder the wires to the speaker terminals and that was it. They shipped it to me for $16 total.

At the time I was running a stereo rack, now that I'm not I was glad I went this route because I can still run the cab in mono without having to rewire the damn thing. Once it is run stereo, the cab will be 16 ohms per side.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 02:27 PM

You just need to also make sure that your amp has 2 16-ohm outputs. When I bought my mono 8-ohm 2x12 cabinet, I was disappointed to find out that I couldn't rewire it to stero because my amp has 4 4-ohm and 2 8-ohm outputs. Nothing doing. The cabinet would become a 16-ohm cabinet, and therefore incompatible. There might be another way around it, but I don't know what it is.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

well ive got 2 8 ohmer's wired in parrallel at the moment, meaning there 4 ohm alltogether. but im going to the 2 8 ohm inputs for stereo, which will exactly match my power amp
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd111
You just need to also make sure that your amp has 2 16-ohm outputs. When I bought my mono 8-ohm 2x12 cabinet, I was disappointed to find out that I couldn't rewire it to stero because my amp has 4 4-ohm and 2 8-ohm outputs. Nothing doing. The cabinet would become a 16-ohm cabinet, and therefore incompatible. There might be another way around it, but I don't know what it is.
As long as your cabinet is equal to or greater than the ohm rating of the used output you are safe.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh

As long as your cabinet is equal to or greater than the ohm rating of the used output you are safe.
I could be wrong...its early for me, but if I recall correctly this is not correct....If the cabinet has a smaller overall load than the amp...you will not hurt the amp, but could damage the speakers...However, if the cabinet has a higher rating [load] you can screw up your amp....The load means how much resistance is being applied to the energy traveling through the wire...push your amp to hard and it will NOT like it. Especially with solid state...tube amps will still be damaged..but are a little more forgiving-when it comes to repairs that is. Solid state will burn out parts that have to be totally replaced whereas tube amps might lose a fuse, tube etc...but more vital parts are spared...I could be totally wrong though...ask an electrician...ohms are ohms..so it doesn't matter if they know nuthin' 'bout music...later Tobe

Tags
jack plate , ohm cab , ohm cabinet , ohm output , power amp , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode