If you're looking for a way to fatten up the sound of your tube amp beyond the sound of a solid state overdrive check this out.
* I picked up a Real Tube Works 901 overdrive pedal. It comes with a cheap chinese 12AX7 that gives the box a buzzy sound. So I replaced the tube with a 12AU7 (much lower gain) and now it's the best sounding boost pedal I've ever heard. Yes, it's even better than my old SD-1 or Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive.
* * A friend of mine has a Tube-King and it's no contest, imho. The Real Tube pedal has a built-in power supply instead of a wal-wart which means the tube plate is gettin' some real juice as opposed to a bunch of op-amps powering the tube (starved plate configuration).
* * * *Anyhow, the real deal is in the sound of the thing. I picked mine up used for $60 and threw the new tube in. I recommend to anyone who's looking for a little extra tube smoothness in their sound to give this a shot.
* * * * *Oh, here are my basic settings....
EQ: To taste, I generally keep mine at 12 noon.
* * Anyone else here have a similar success story with their favorite pedal?