recommend cables - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

recommend cables

what are some really quality cables i should use for my amp, speaker, and rack units?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 02:50 AM

Re: recommend cables

i will always stik with my monsters, not only cause they sound fine, but that if there are ANY problems with it, u take it back, and they will streight up hand u a new one, no proof of purchase necesary and no questions asked.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 02:55 AM

george L's are great cables.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 06:23 AM

i second btangel, ive been using only george L's cables , and they are great...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 09:46 AM

i make my own. that way, i know they work, and i know they will last....or on my head be it! i use sommer cable and neutrik jacks, and find them to be great.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 11:31 AM

If you want really really good cables, get the Evidence (theyre extremely expensive) , Zaolla's are also awesome
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardevil2005
i will always stik with my monsters, not only cause they sound fine, but that if there are ANY problems with it, u take it back, and they will streight up hand u a new one, no proof of purchase necesary and no questions asked.
Yep - $ 35-40 and you have a guitar cable for life
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 02:46 PM

I reccommend planet waves, but all of the above mentioned would be good, even though i havnt tried them.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 03:22 PM

i liked my planet waves.. but i have one beef with them.. the compression springs tore off inside my boss ME8. i have no clue how.. but now it is the permanent output cable for that pedal.. good thing i only use it for practicing. I plan on moving to george Ls. especially since i have a pedal board and rack to wire up. I've heard nothing but good about GL's
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 04:53 PM

Mogami, theyre cheap , and pretty good actually! i forgot to mention those
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 05:22 PM

I definitely think the cables mentioned so far are quality cables. Especially since I've owned all of them. Couple comments though if you want 'em ...

1) Planet Waves- the compression springs have either sqashed on themselves or broken a couple times, and over time one clearly 'wore' the jack on one of my guitars just that much wider (because of the width of the compression spring). Now, any other cable is a little loose in that jack. Very uncool.

2) George L's- for an instrument cable from your guitar to the amp (or board), I didn't like how rigid they were... they don't lay nicely. Something very wire-y about them. Almost like you can crimp/bend them and they'd just stay that way. But for hooking pedals to eachother, great.

3) Klotz LaGrange- Really like the fidelity and rugged build of the cable. Heavy duty cable, big-ass Neutrik connectors. But it's very thick and not very flexible. Almost too heavy-duty. Great sound though. And seems indestructable.

4) Spectraflex- really good all-around cable. Not the clearest sounding, but so easy to deal with, rugged enough, and cheap.

5) DiMarzio- again, a fine cable. But that braided exeterior jacket just irritates the hell out of me. It's like a constantly 'starched' cable. I use it still for patching things or other stuff... Certainly above average, but no way I'd plug my guitar into this snake with rigor mortis.

Currently, I'm using Bayou cable for my instrument cable, and got one of their 3' speaker cables (way impressive) too, to run from a head to a cab. The instrument cable is nice Canare cable, and Neutrik connectors are offered although I opted for G&H connectors. It's 90% as good sounding as the Klotz, but as flexible and easy to deal with as the Planet Waves cable. And inexpensive too. My current #1. Check 'em if you want to:
http://www.bayoucables.com/

-Ben

Last edited by BeastofLove; 07-13-2005 at 05:28 PM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btangel
george L's are great cables.
I second that. I only use George L's
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 07:53 AM

Another vote for George L's here, but there are lots of good ones. Just not radio shack... ;-)
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 10:57 AM
rgr

I would recommend using George Ls for pedal patching, pedalboard to amp (or rack), and definitely for hooking up rack effects, the ability to cut them to custom length is great and makes everything really neat. They aren't he sturdiest cord for running from your guitar to your pedalboard, amp, rack, whatever, so if you step on your cord alot and put alot of stress on it, I would look at something else. I use a George L from my guitar at home or for recording, I have a Spectraflex for when I'm not so gentle on it.

$0.02,
Roger
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 12:09 PM

Get anything that's fat. I use Monsters... because they're the best aside from the $1000 cables (insanity!) and they have a lifetime warranty. George L's are good and if you can find an old Carvin Steve Vai sig cable, those are supposed to be well made.

Avoid Planet Waves at all costs. They are fairly cheap and well made, but the jacks are too fat on them and can eventually bend the input of the guitar to only work with them.

Tags
pedal board , planet waves , speaker cab , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode