Recording in 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 etc surround sound - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Recording in 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 etc surround sound

anyone ever try this or hear of anyone trying it. I think it would be cool to be able to record something like that and put certain parts in the left surround or right front or do crazy effects like rotate around all the speakers. Obviously you couldn't reproduce it live, but it would be cool if somehow you could record experimental albums using surround sound that you could play through a surround sound stereo system. Any ideas how you may pull this off??

Last edited by adamcbest; 07-28-2006 at 03:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 03:57 PM

Re: Recording in 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 etc surround sound

A couple years back in college I did a 5.1 surround sound project. I basically took a really thick synth composition I had and spread out the over the channels (we had a new performance hall where the main speaker system supported up to 8 separate surround-sound channels, so it sounded huge). I used Pro-Tools for it and I was really disappointed with it because there was no good way to automate channel shifts- like if I wanted to have the track playing in the left-front channel slowly shift to left-back (as if to spin around you), it was a real PITA. I'm sure Pro-Tools has been updated to handle that process better, though.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 12:03 AM

I do.

I have a 7.1 Logitech system running through a Creative Soundblaster X-fi Platnuim.

It's not as great as monitors etc.. since if a computer only has a 2 speaker setup, your going to get complete differnt sounds then out of a 7.1.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 11:11 AM

Reviews: 2

You can track in surround but you need a mic thats crazy expensive and looks like a head. The mics are in the ears. Mixing in surround is easy if you have the gear for it. Pro Tools HD has surround capabilities. LE doesnt. Its easy to have get the sounds to move around too. The automation in PT is great. I know that the insane clown posse did a surround mix on one of there cds. You cant playback a surround mix on all players though. You'll need a player that reads the surround code. If you have the right gear and software you can do a surround mix pretty easily.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 02:48 PM

Insult upon injury.... I read that damn manual a bunch of times to try to figure out how to automate, but the Insane Clown Posse apparently figured it out. :-(
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge
Insult upon injury.... I read that damn manual a bunch of times to try to figure out how to automate, but the Insane Clown Posse apparently figured it out. :-(
I dont know about the version you used but the version I use is easy. Just play back and put the automation mode in latch and as its playing back then do your pans then go back to read mode. You can also draw automation in the pan part of the edit window
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 05:55 PM

I don't really see the point of it, how many people have the time or patience to sit in the middle of one room and just listen to an entire album. I guess in some sort of self serving musician way it could be cool, but not for the average listener. Usually when I have music on I'm doing work around the house or something.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid
I don't really see the point of it, how many people have the time or patience to sit in the middle of one room and just listen to an entire album. I guess in some sort of self serving musician way it could be cool, but not for the average listener. Usually when I have music on I'm doing work around the house or something.

Surround mixes are about to take off. Alot of car makers are making there car stereos play in surround. Lots of pro studios now have the capability of doing a surround mix. Its the future yea baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode