Recording direct into pc. How to record backing track as wel - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Recording direct into pc. How to record backing track as wel

After somehow managing to burn my microphone i have just a line in cable and now record straight to the pc . My problem is that im not sure how to simultaneously record myself playing over a backing track. Im using goldwave to record it, (Only program i have really), but im not sure how to record the backing track at the same time. Any help would be great as im not to good with Computers

Also, what free software would people recomend, as anythings better than what i have at the moment

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 06:59 AM

Well heck, I'm just going to go through all the older posts and share my knowledge.

I don't know anything about goldwave, but you need a multi track application. Cool Edit is my personal fave, but also look into Cubase, Nuendo, and Sonar.

And uhh, by not running a preamp between the processor and sound card, you're never going to get a professional sound. You should pick up a microphone (SM 57, Studio Projects condensor, Marshall MXL series...all under $100) and a pre amp (there are many for under $100. stay away from Behringer though!).
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 05:50 PM

Please excuse my complete and utter ignorance about preamps, but what exactly do they do? And what's wrong with Behringer? What would you recommend is a decent, inexpensive preamp? I need to learn more about home recording...
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 02:07 AM

I'm on a mac, so I've never tried this software, but I saw it on the TV and it looked cool enough for being free:

Audacity

Also, I'd recommend that you pick up a used POD instead of worring about micing. With you limited budget, I think you'd be happier with the POD than a cheap mic into a cheap pre into a cheap converter. Used v2 pod's can be had for around $150.

This way allows you to get comfortable with home recording and then you can decide if some decent software and recording gear is something you want to invest in.

Tags
backing track , multi track

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode