Recording direct: Sansamp PSA-1 or Rocktron VooduValve??? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Recording direct: Sansamp PSA-1 or Rocktron VooduValve???

Hi

After four very happy years of recording with the GT-2, I now feel the need to upgrade to something more comfortable...
I'll try to explain myself better.
As a preamp for direct recording the GT-2 is absolutely fantastic. True, I don't have experience of other similar devices (except the Sansamp TRI-AC, that I didn't like) but still today I love the sound and simplicity of the GT-2, not counting the low price I paid for it.

But the GT-2 is, basically, a pedal. So it holds 1 sound, and it hasn't any program storage facility, like a typical rack preamp would have. So, when I switch from a heavily distorted mesa boogie to a clean sound, I have to tweak by hand some switches and pots, which isn't so comfortable (go figure in a live situation!)

Now, the natural upgrade from the GT-2 would be the PSA-1. I personally never tried a PSA-1, but, being it form TECH21 as well, I expect to find basically the same sounds and overall quality...

*but*

I've read that the Rocktron Vooduvalve has also good speaker simulation capabilities, and could hence be used for direct recording.
This could be a very interesting alternative to the PSA-1, as the Vooduvalve has got also a multieffect DPS inside, which the PSA-1 hasn't

Any advice?
Has anyone of you ever used one (or both) of these two devices?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 10:27 AM

Re: Recording direct: Sansamp PSA-1 or Rocktron VooduValve???

I have an original black face Rocktron Chameleon and I think the speaker simulator is the same between it and the VooDoo Valve.

I've recorded directly from my Chameleon to the computer and unless you do some heavy heavy tweaking, you won't be happy with the distorted tones. If you want the sound you hear from your amp when you record direct, I'd suggest mic'ing your amp. Since I've purchased my 8-track and SM57 I'm able to record my guitars the way I hear them.

Hope that helps.

(btw, the VooDoo Valve is an awesome pre-amp. I've played one and you have a ton of options with it. I even use the speaker simulator when playing through my 4x12 cab.)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 11:34 AM

i've tried recoridng with both
i like the rocktron's sound better
its probably the speaker sim sounds good
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

thanks for your impressions

I'm going to buy the voodu valve soon, if noth both of them...

Tags
distorted tone , distorted tones , mesa boogie , rack pre , rocktron chameleon , voodu valve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode