Recording Gear Questions - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Recording Gear Questions

Ok guys, I plan to buy a Shure SM57 mic and a Mackie 1202-VLZ PRO Micro Mixer.

So here's the signal chain - SM57 Mic > Mixer > Computer (SB Audigy 2 ZS Line-In)

1. Would this setup sound all right for basic guitar work recording (no major studio quality level of sound needed), considering I place the mic properly in relation to my amp?

2. Also, what software would I need, and what are some good recommendations?

3. Oh yeah, will I need any kind of mic-preamp, or will the mixer act as a preamp?

Thanks,
Wade

Edit: Should I just spend money on a preamp like this Behringer (since I will be recording one track at a time anyways)? http://www.***************.com/produ...amp?sku=182491 (instert musicians friend into blank)

Then I could use the saved money towards better software.

Last edited by waylay00; 06-12-2006 at 12:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 12:55 AM

Re: Recording Gear Questions

(Warning: Ramblings of a pure amateur ahead...)

The mixer has a mic preamp per mic input, presumably. That being said, the SM57 is known to give very different results, depending on the mic preamp. Some preamps it loves (I'm told), others... not so much (speaking as the owner of preamps it loves not so much -- them being Yamaha aw4416 preamps -- which are pretty transparent preamps with not a heck of a lot of gain.)

Try it and see. The SM57 has the reputation of being a kind of default guitar cab mic, though often a small diaphragm condenser (e.g. marshall 603s to name one cheap example) can give better results for the amateur (in my very limited amateur experience.) And in the absence of a good room/quiet environment -- consider low freq air conditioner noise, traffic, jets, etc. -- recording direct through a modeller can give adequate and often better results than you are able to get with mics. One mic ain't gonna get you stereo, for instance.

Got no idea about software. I'm one of them crazy people that tries to use linux.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 01:20 AM

hey waylay00, I'm using the exact setup you described.

My mixer/mic preamp is a behringer UB802 (mixer + mic phantom power preamp). So my setup is as follows

Shure SM57 -> UB802 -> Audigy 2 ZS line-in 2 -> software

I use audacity 3.0, or Reason 3.0 rewired to Ableton Live depending on what I'm doing on the PC end.

I'm an amateur myself, so don't take my word for it, but I like what I hear from my recordings. For me it's the best way to accurately record the tone I hear from my amp. That's one of the biggest problems I had with the POD XT. What you hear from your cab, may not sound the same in the recording through USB. But it is a lot more convenient.

The only downside I see to recording with a mic is that you really need to crank up your amp, and lower your mic output to get a clean recording without 60hz noise. It may not work out too well if you have neighbors. :P
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Lepidoptera
Got no idea about software. I'm one of them crazy people that tries to use linux.
Good luck =) There's only two or three programs that are really worth using on Linux for recording, and they're insanely hard to configure.

I'd just go with Audition, Tracktion, or Cubase, as far as software goes. I also recommend a second mic, like a Sennheiser e609 Silver, for close recording, and the sm57 for recording the back of the cab or from a few feet out in front of the cab to get a warmer, airy sound (good for lead tones). I bought a Mackie Onyx 1620, so I can record 8 mic inputs (8 preamps, plus another 8 channels of inputs without the pre's) directly to the computer, all on seperate tracks. It's really nice.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

What about Sonar Home Studio XL? How is it for software?

Oh yeah, what are the difference between the Mackie Onyx 1220 and the Mackie 1202-VLZ Pro?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode