Recording with a j-station? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Recording with a j-station?

Hi - i am debating as to what i want to get for home recording; either a line 6 guitar port or a j-station? Question, i am using a laptop with a basic soundcard (mic in, speaker jack only), how do i record using the j-station? I know i can get a usb interface (i.e. edirol) to connect the j-station to my computer, but do i still need a better soundcard to record? Or will the recording software take care of that?

thanks in advance,

jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 03:49 PM

I use the J-Station to record into just the stock sound card with just the line in on my computer and to me it sounds pretty dull. If you want to hear what it sounds like you can here it here on some of my songs. I don't know much about the Line 6 Guitar Port. It seems like it might be pretty good though. Im stuck with a computer that you cant upgrade very well otherwise I would get a soundcard more geared twoard recording.
The recording software seems to only do so much, atleast in my experience. I think what matters the most is to have a good sound coming into the computer to start with.
If at all possible I would just recomend a good mic, maybe a small mixer or a tube mic preamp ran into your sound card. For example, on my site the song 'Robot Factory' was a SM57 on my Soldano cab ran into a cheap little ART tube mic preamp that you can get for around $80. To me that was the best recorded tone I have achived.
Or, just go with the good old Pod.
I am pretty new to home recording still but I just figured I would throw in my $.02.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 05:43 PM

Well, i've been using a J-station for a while now. You CAN get pretty good sounds out of it... But the factory presets suck. They're all WAY too bass-heavy and muddy as-is.

the easiest way to fix them (onboard EQ isn't enough) is to trade around some cabinets. I've noticed #5 and #7 (the two 1x12's) tend to be pretty manageable in terms of low-end response. Add a slight amount of reverb and maybe a touch of delay, and you're in buisness. This won't work with the amps that already have that cab, unfortunately, so you're forced to do some EQ tweaking after the fact, but it helps a lot. the two Mesa amps sound particularly nice through #7 (american tweed, i believe).

The other thing i've noticed is that it doesn;t do lightly distorted tones well- with an amp, it sounds better if you play slightly cleaner than you think you need to. the j-station's distrted patches sound better at higher gain levels- lower, you lose a LOT of that natural sustain and compression you get out of a tube amp's power section. Also, the clean tones don't have a lot of bite, even with the high's cranked; you can get interesting effects by bypassing the speaker and cab sims, and then double-tracking with a track through the speaker sim, or even just leaving it as-is for a satch-y sort of clean tone, but it's still not a really cutting, articulate clean tone. pretty mushy.

All in all, it works pretty well, though. Not as good as an amp, but a lot easier to work with at 4AM when you feel inspired.

If you want some MP3's, i can send you a few clips. send me a private message.

-Drew
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 01:17 AM

behringer

I recently started recording on my pc and have had good luck with the behringer v amp 2. I wouldnt use it fir anything else but for recording its pretty good,and wont wake the family. If you want to hear it go here.www.onlinerock.com/musicians/westfallon all these tracks I used it except for the bean.
Chris

Tags
clean tone , distorted tone , distorted tones , guitar port , mesa amps , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode