Recording Recomendations - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Recording Recomendations

Hey, I'm looking into getting a full recording setup sometime in '06. Just a small setup, nothing outrageously expensive or huge. What program do you recommend out of these for quality recording:

1. Mackie Tracktion 2 Recording/Sequencing Software with Plug-In Bundle
2. Cakewalk SONAR Home Studio 4 XL
3. Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 3
4. Steinberg Cubase SE
5. Propellerhead Reason - Adapted Upgrade

For the mic setup I was thinking a Shure PG57 or SM57 in front of the amp with XLR out. What would I use to plug the other side of the XLR cable into? Would I also need to buy a mic preamp too? BTW, if there is anything else I need or am missing for a complete recording setup I haven't mentioned, tell me and give suggestions, any help is greatly appreciated. Opinions are welcome too, Thanks! : D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 08:21 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Recording Recomendations

whats your budget like? You can get a Mbox and it comes with pro tools Le
What kind of computer do you have. You'll need a pretty fast processor and tons of ram.. AT least 1 gig. as far as the software goes . Cubase/nuendo and pro tools are the top of the line, but Pro Tools needs digidesign hardware to work. mbox/002,control 24 etc. They are pretty pricey.

The 57's will work but there are better mics. depends on budget
If you have the cash get a small mixer(not peavey or beringer) and some powered monitors with a decent pre amp and you should be ok.
You can find a firewire interface with a pre amp too. again depends on budget.

Mackie makes a great control surface you can use pro tools with. If possible find a Mac G4 to run the software and a seperate HD for storage. Let me know your budget and maybe I can help a little more
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to buy this all over time starting in 2006, not as one big purchase. I am only looking at spending roughly around $1400-$1600 as a total for everything. Here's what I was thinking:

1. Shure SM57 at the amps grill. (a Vox AD50VT)
2. Shure KSM27 4ft. away from the amp.
3. Mackie 1604 mixer.
4. Strait to my computers (sucky) hard drive via Cubase SE software.

So what do you think? Remember I'm getting this over time as it will take me a few years to aquire all of this due to the fact that I'm 13. What should I buy first besides the AD50VT? Thanks
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Any suggestions?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 08:57 AM

That's one way to go, and not a bad one. But since you have some time, go to some home recording sites & forums and just READ. You'll get lots of ideas. Here are a few thoughts...
1. The mackie's a good board, but do you NEED that many channels? Are you going to also use it as a PA mixer or something? If you're only using it as a recording front end, as mentioned above there are many preamp boxes that go right into USB2 or firewire on your PC. You may only need a stereo one. That's maybe $100. If you DO want an analog mixer, consider a smaller, cheaper one. The Mackie is great but a Behringer that does what you need is <$100 (though you will need to make sure your sound card is up to snuff - if not, budget $100 for an M-Audio Audiophile or similar).
2. Your mic choices are fine. I'd also look at the AT2020 as competition to the KSM27. It's much less ($100) and I thought it sounded pretty fine. If you're recording acoustic guitars you may also want to consider adding a small diaphragm condensor to the stable.
3. Add a second hard drive. For the extra space, and also so you don't record to the system drive. Trust me, you want this. ;-) $100.

You may want to consider a modeler in addition to the amp. A V-Amp2 is $100, and will give you all KINDS of sounds that, while none may be as good as your miked amp, could open up your sonic "palette".

The most important thing is to have fun, and learn to use whatever you have to it's best ability. Good luck!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 10:42 AM
rgr

Tracktion is hard to beat, I just bought it and really like it. I also have Logic Platinum (4.8 for Windoze XP) and like Tracktion better for recording. Logic has cool stuff like Score, but I don't use it that much. The bundled plug-ins that come with Tracktion are worth the price alone.

$0.02,
Roger
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys! One day I'll be sure to post pics of it all.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 11:33 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead189
Thanks for the help guys! One day I'll be sure to post pics of it all.
If you alredy have the guitar/amp set up then to learn how to record get an Mbox and a decent computer to record to. maybe a seperate HD to store audio files. MBOX comes with Pro Tools LE and is a great program. Learn your way around the software and the recording process 1st. Learn how to use plug ins and editing basics. train your ears so you can use an EQ better when you can afford more costly gear you'll have the basics. Mackie is a good place to start. I wouldnt get a berringer at all!! Try a 6 channel mixer 1st. learn the basics of signal flow. Budget for a good pair of monitors . I hope you make it
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 11:45 PM

I'm using Cubase SX which I think is great - fairly easy to use. I have Cakewalk too but I only use it as a sequencer because I don't think the audio portion is that comprehensive. I have REASON also and it's awesome for synth, midi, sampling etc but not for audio recording. You can combine REASON with Cubase and use it like an instrument (VSTi) with Cubase. The combination of Cubase and Reason together is an excellent studio setup which I'd highly recommend.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 11:48 PM

Also as far as recording your guitar goes I've used mics with amps but it's kind of a pain in the butt to set up and work out a sound everytime you want to lay down a track so I've used a POD 2 in the past and it worked great. Just dial up a sound and a way you go. I've since just upgraded to the Boss GT Pro and it's phenomenal but it will run you around a grand.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanut
If you alredy have the guitar/amp set up then to learn how to record get an Mbox and a decent computer to record to. maybe a seperate HD to store audio files. MBOX comes with Pro Tools LE and is a great program. Learn your way around the software and the recording process 1st. Learn how to use plug ins and editing basics. train your ears so you can use an EQ better when you can afford more costly gear you'll have the basics. Mackie is a good place to start. I wouldnt get a berringer at all!! Try a 6 channel mixer 1st. learn the basics of signal flow. Budget for a good pair of monitors . I hope you make it

Thanks Ibanut, that seems to be the cheapest, and very best way for me to start recording easiest. I really apreciate all the help and comments!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 11:46 AM

if u r a beginner then i'd suggest to avoid SM-57 as it is very picky about the sweet spot. check out Sennheiser e609 mic.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

What if I went the route of two signals going onto different tracks, and (in most cases) panned opposite during mix down, with the direct signal more towards the left, and the miked signal more towards the right using the XLR out of the amp and an SM-57 approx. 1" away from grill cloth? Would this work? Thanks

Tags
acoustic guitar , audio audiophile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode