Recording triple rectifier - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Recording triple rectifier

I've been learning how to use and record triple recto over past 5 months. I had some passable results. Since I am also reading about it a lot, I am getting confused by everyone saying rectifier series only sounds good when recorded loud.

I mean, overall, this is true from my experience - if you run it at the volume of a TV set, it sounds almost worse then amp modeling (still more alive and warmer then the best model, but flabbier and thinner). As output reaches 10 or 11 oclock with channel volume set to 10 or 11 oclock (I use vintage for everything), there is an "opening up" feeling like the body of the sound floods inside the speakers and fills them up. I think the sweetest sound I got was with the amp set to about that range. But I keep hearing that the elusive "best" distorted tone is when you set master volume to like 3 o'clock or further with channel volume about the same, and gain turned down to 10 o'clock or less?

I tried that so many times, but it sounds like ****! Dry, lifeless, forced, the speakers start farting and the power amp starts having trouble pushing all the obscene amounts of bass at that volume, even with bass totally cut. Because it's loud, there are also massive reflections from all surfaces which muddies up the sound even further. Low gain results in almost no saturation, so you can hear the strings really loud and separate, and it sounds really harsh. All in all, a recto with gain turned down and master volume cranked past 2 is just a wash of mids and highs, can't even tell one note from another even though the string sounds come through. So is the public opinion seriously telling me that I'm supposed to record this way, or am I misunderstanding something?

Last edited by guitarpirate; 09-04-2011 at 04:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 04:40 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: Recording triple rectifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpirate View Post
So is the public opinion seriously telling me that I'm supposed to record this way, or am I misunderstanding something?
The answer to your question is an obvious question =

Think about how many bands you heard that recorded using mesa rectos.
Do they all sound like crap like your recording(according to you)?

If the answer is YES, you're getting the same tones they got.
If the answer is NO, yes you're misunderstanding something.

How many books about recording have you read?
How much studio experience do you have?
Have you worked with a recording engineer already?
What do you know about recording gear?
What do you know about psychoacoustics?

Those things can help you a lot.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 03:46 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Recording triple rectifier

Just get a sound you like with the speakers pointed at your head.

Shove a mic infront of the speaker.

Move it around until you hit a spot you like

Hit the record button

Double track it if you want more body

Forget what people tell you (it's a good starting point), but recording is really an art of discovering something different and finding YOUR sound.

I found the perfect sound i wanted out of my VOX VT100 by pointing my SM57 2-3 inches ABOVE the speaker and about 6 inches away from the speaker. It's taken me like 6 months to find this spot.

Hope this might give you some kind of inspiration for tone discovery.

Toodles, Julz.

Tags
master volume , mesa , recording , rectifier , tracking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode