removing guitar and vocals from tracks - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

removing guitar and vocals from tracks

i hope this is in the correct forum, it seems the most likely place.

i found a thing in adobe audition that removes vocals and most lead guitar.
ok firstly it isnt perfect right but it makes it so you can jam along much easier.

firstly run audition.
in multi track view insert an audio file
switch to edit view.
go to favourites
and hit vocal remove.
it takes out the centre channel and gives you an almost instant backing track.

i demo'ed it here check it out,

http://www.6stringheaven.com/forum/p...opic.php?t=459

it really solved many problems for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 10:46 AM

Re: removing guitar and vocals from tracks

This sort of thing relies on vocals and leads being mixed dead center, with rhythm and drums being mixed a bit to one side.

You can do it yourself in any audio editor:

1. Split the source audio L/R into 2 tracks
2. Reverse the phase on one track
3. Re-combine into one track

This way, anything mixed center will be on both the left and right track, and will cancel itself out when you flip the phase. Anything mixed left or right of center will not be affected.

It doesn't always work, and sometimes it sounds weird, but it's worth trying!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

cheers keith
yeh this is a problem i found, it doesn't work all the time, because im kinda new to this it seemed like an easy way to do it.
does your way mean you can do the same trick with other tracks where the vocal might not be on the centre channel.
and when you say any audio editor would audition do this, it's the only one i have?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklepotamus
cheers keith
yeh this is a problem i found, it doesn't work all the time, because im kinda new to this it seemed like an easy way to do it.
does your way mean you can do the same trick with other tracks where the vocal might not be on the centre channel.
and when you say any audio editor would audition do this, it's the only one i have?
I can almost guarantee that the process he described is what the "vocal remove" function is already doing. The main problem with it is that you lose everything that's in the center (snare drum, kick drum, bass guitar, some cymbals, some guitar parts) and don't lose things that aren't dead center (some lead guitar parts, vocals, etc.).
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 08:32 AM

Yup, that's how "vocal removers" work. One thing they often add is the ability to pass the bass unaffected. Since bass & kick are usually mixed center, this keeps some of those from being removed. Problem is, the high end of those instruments is still removed - so you get no "slap" and all "thud".

Tags
backing track , multi track

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode